Oliver Blogging

technomadia

We were blown away touring Sherry and Paul's Oliver this weekend (thanks seadawg!), and now it looks like we'll be placing an order for our own this week.

We plan on plenty of customizations - including solar, an integrated inverter / charger, extended batteries, a cell phone booster, enhanced AV, a 22" screen, and probably lots more.

I've created a category on my LiveJournal to chronicle the process:

http://radven.livejournal.com/tag/oliver

We'll probably also be posting at http://www.technomadia.com too.

I invite you all to follow our progress...

- Chris & Cherie // http://www.technomadia.com

Welcome to the Oliver family. Since I am a Casita owner (Oliver wanna be owner) I'm sort of a second cousin the the family, but I can welcome you anyway!

The Oliver is something that needs to be seen, walked around in and experienced before you can fully appreciate how amazing it really is!

Sherry and Paul are pretty cool too! :P

Geri

• Moderators

Chris & Cherie,

Best of luck in your newest adventure! We'll be following your progress on the blog(s).

Thanks, also, Cherie, for the necklaces. We'll think of you and Chris and wonder about your latest "technomadventures" each time we look at them....

Sherry

(edited to correct spelling)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Congratulations!!!! :o You'll love your Oliver and the folks at the factory will take VERY good care of you. I'll be following your blog as I've already acquired a wealth of info from you! And I'm sure your ideas will be fun and interesting. Hope to see your T@B when I get back to FL. Did you get the bio diesel link I sent? Sorry to have not done the light test for you but this campground is wall to wall folks and too much outside light! Tried the reverse with inside lghts out and seems to be very slight light at threads.

Chuck 8-)

• Moderators

Sherie & Chris,

I know your T@B adventures have been wonderful, but you ain't seen nothin' yet! Congratulations on the move to the Oliver. I am sure it will be all you anticipate . . . and MORE!

What solar panel and cell phone amplifier will you be incorporating into your new palace?

I look forward to watching your blog and look forward even more to when we may meet out on the road . . .

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Hi Pete -

I was actually going to be poking you to see how your experience has been with your solar system and cell booster.

I've been going back and forth with AM Solar, considering using on their AM100 panels like you did. I may instead opt for a larger panel from another maker, and I am also dreaming up ways to rig two or three panels onto the Oliver roof. I would really like more than 100W of power.

Right now, the Heliotrope HPV-22B, BlueSky 2512iX, or MornigStar SunSaver MPTT are my leading candidate charge controllers.

Have you had any issues or annoyances having your fan and AC pushed back? I actually think having the fan more directly over the stove would be ideal. I am hoping it may even blow a bit on the bed, great for sleeping...

I would love to see a picture looking down onto your roof, if you could manage it. I am trying to get a sense for how I can best maximize my use of the roof space.

As for the cell booster... There seem to be a few options out there. How well has yours been working? I think I may go with the same thing you did, but I need to check to see if they support AT&T's 3G frequency (for the upcoming 3G iPhone)...

I've loved the photos you have been posting, btw.

Cheers!

- Chris // http://www.technomadia.com

• Moderators

Chris,

So far, all seems to be working just fine with the A/C & fan being moved rearward. Oliver built nice "bump" of fiberglass to the back so the A/C would be level. Several owners of Casitas have mentioned they liked the inside placement of the A/C. The air that exits the rear hits the curve or the ceiling and storage cabinets and then comes down onto the bed . . . nice.

When I put the Fantastic Fan on exhaust and crack the rear window and the side window at the "head side" of the bed I have a continuously renewing stream of fresh, cool air moving in over the bed. If I put the fan on intake mode, I get a small amount of donward airflow on the edge of the bed. I prefer exhaust mode.

On the solar, during a sunny day I am replenishing the batteries at a rate of 5 to 6 amps per hour. On overcast days that will drop to about 2.5 per amps per hour if the clouds aren't the dense, black ones. The HPV-22B charge controller will charge the batteries to 14.7 volts when boondocking. If you are connected to shore power, the set-point is moved down to 13.5 volts.

I'll see what I can do about the roof picture. Gotta find a new ladder 'cause I destroyed the other one while attacking a tree limb with a chain saw. (NOT one of my smarter moves) Space is rather tight. To get more volts, you'll need a wider panel (longer is not possible) and this will change the aesthetics. Right now, the panel is as wide as the very top upper structure's width. Looks like it was made for it! I believe Mountainborn came across a long, skinny panel that may fit behind the sunshade. He thought two of these could be laid back there. Not sure what the voltage was.

I'm very pleased with the cell phone signal amplifier. It is a dual band unit that works with both 800 and 1900 MHz which covers all service providers except Nextel. You can see all about it at http://www.powerfulsignal.com. I went for the "Command Post" option. When I enter the program mode of my telephone I am able to watch the analogue values of the signal power and see the signal boost as I turn on the amplifier. COOL!

I'll pm my # to you. Feel free to call.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

I selected the dome antenna which radiates a signal 360 degrees, the signal initiates at a 50 degree depressed angle from level (if ceiling mounted) and there is no "cone of silence" directly under the dome. Receiving it in your TV would be dependent on being within these parameters.

You need to be careful and not allow any signal from the dome to reach the outside antenna, or you get into a situation where the amplifier shuts down. That's why I have the goofy looking aluminum foil mounted strategically between the fiberglass shells.

Call me at the number I pm'd you and we can discuss this in depth, if you'd like.