Tongue weight/trailer weight determination

John Welte

Hi all, we left Oregon for Tennessee and I stopped at a CAT scale.  That gives three readings;  steer axle, drive axle and trailer axle.  How do you get tongue weight and trailer weight?  Do you weigh with the Anderson attached or remove that for weighing.  I saw a thing called Smart Weigh that weighs each tire, but is only available in Florida, Texas and Arizona.  What do y'all do?

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

3 weighs if you have a weight distribution system/Anderson anti sway hitch....there are 3 "platforms/scales" at the CAT scale

1) Weigh your TV and trailer with weight distribution enabled, front axle of TV on front platform/scale, rear axe of TV on the second platform/scale and trailer axle/axles on the 3rd platform/scale
2) Same as above but weight distribution system disengaged, I leave it attached but just loosen the tension on the chains.
3) Only TV, front axle on front platform/scale and rear axle on 2nd platform/scale.

Make sure the 2nd and 3rd weighs are "re weighs", i.e you pay full price for the 1st weigh and much cheaper for the 2nd and 3rd weigh.

Then punch the numbers into this spreadsheet.

Towing calculations spreadsheet.xlsx

• Thanks 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

12 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

3 weighs if you have a weight distribution system/Anderson anti sway hitch....there are 3 "platforms/scales" at the CAT scale

1) Weigh your TV and trailer with weight distribution enabled, front axle of TV on front platform/scale, rear axe of TV on the second platform/scale and trailer axle/axles on the 3rd platform/scale
2) Same as above but weight distribution system disengaged, I leave it attached but just loosen the tension on the chains.
3) Only TV, front axle on front platform/scale and rear axle on 2nd platform/scale.

Make sure the 2nd and 3rd weighs are "re weighs", i.e you pay full price for the 1st weigh and much cheaper for the 2nd and 3rd weigh.

Then punch the numbers into this spreadsheet.

Towing calculations spreadsheet.xlsx 12.24 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks.  I couldn't get the spreadsheet to open.  Thanks for the detailed order of weighing.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

Not sure why, let me try again.Towing calculations spreadsheet.xlsx

Still can't open on my phone.  Where is it from?

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Still can't open on my phone.  Where is it from?

It’s an excel spread sheet, pm me your email address and I’ll email it to you, or on your phone I think you have to download it first, when you click on it look for the download prompt to pop up on the bottom of your phone? 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison