Fire Ring Mods

Yep, you can even mod a fire ring being creative. We love our fire ring! We prefer to camp in cooler weather, and in the evening we sit by the fire ring for drinks and conversation. I understand the purists want a real campfire, but more often than not in the SW open fires are restricted. Also, I'm a hardworking sort but I dislike spending effort on something that is later "dust in the wind" with no resulting value. No smoke, no fire danger, just warmth.

Often when Chris is starting dinner, she'll call out, "start the grill please." I'm thinking it's early for dinner, but she wants to start a couple baked potatoes. I've learned Irish women got to have potatoes, at least mine does often. So, I was sitting there by the fire thinking, "why should I need two fires going?" Being conservative (in more ways than one), the waste bothered me. After dinner, we sit by the fire ring again.

I acquired this grill grate a few years ago from a guy that was renting our outbuilding. When moving out, he threw it away, so I saved it. Now I have a great use for it. Love reusing old stuff I've saved! It's some kind of weird form of accomplishment within me.

Actually, the first mod to our fire ring was to replace the rocks. They come standard with some cheap version of lava rock, lighter than air, useless. We purchased these HD lava rocks and although it does add a few LBs to the ring, the amount of heat is certainly doubled! Amazon.com: Stanbroil Lava Rock Granules for Gas Log Sets and Fireplaces - 10 lb.Bag (0.8"-1.2") : Patio, Lawn & Garden

You put these two upgrades together and you can cook anything that does not release grease: baked potatoes, other veggies, boil water, etc. It gets hotter, cooks faster than our small Weber grill. And this way I can turn the potatoes, butt in chair, drink in hand!

I bought this item too. Got the 100-pack since we use them as a drip catch for the Weber and you can use them for this purpose too. ttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRGWLGDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These will also keep any juices from bleeding onto the rocks.

A couple of pics to follow from our recent outing. I call the second one "campin' au gratins" and oh, they were sooooo good!

Fire Ring Grill.jpg

Campin' Au Gratins.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
Posted (edited)

Those of us in the West are surrounded by exactly the right type of rock to use in propane fire pits.  Fresh from the volcano lava rocks are there for the picking.  Alongside a central Oregon road I picked up a fire pit full of 2 - 2-1/2" lava rocks chosen for high density and low water content.  Lava rock varies from extremely light to very dense ... some lava rocks float in water - you don't want that as the heavier rocks absorb and give off far more heat than the fluffy stuff.

Avoid the immitation stuff that comes in some fire pits.  Make sure your rock is from a genuine, certified volcano that has not been soaking in water recently.  Porous rock filled with water can blow up in a surprising manner when put in a fire ... best to avoid that.

Edited by Jim and Chris Neuman
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

Those of us in the West are surrounded by exactly the right type of rock to use in propane fire pits.

That makes good sense and we sure walked by many hiking on our recent trip to SW Utah. It would take a while looking to find the right kind, all close in size to collect a good batch. The ones I purchased for about $20, must have been run a rock tumbler and sorted for size. You can see in the ad choice of size. They're all rounded nicely, no cracks and hard as can be, the size and almost the shape of small eggs. Though I'll say, I certainly appreciate a thrifty idea! Thanks.

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!