Dometic FreshJet 3, 13.5 owners - Help Please.

Reports that Dometic claims that the FreshJet 3, 15K and 13.5K units draw the same number of Watts/Amps has lighted my BS warning lamp. I respectfully request that someone with a FreshJet3, 13.5 K unit actually measure the running amps of their A/C on low, medium and Turbo, and publish same on this forum. An easy way to do that is to use the handy dandy monitor located in the rear cubby of the Legacy Elite II. Please pick a time when your batteries are fully charged, and  just before testing that the monitor shows 1 amp or less of current draw. It does not matter if you are on shore power or on generator power. Please mention ambient temperature during the test. With the 15K version of subject A/C, I measured 13 amps on low, 15 to 16 amps on medium and 18+ amps on high (Turbo). Many thanks to all who can respond.

Signed,

The puzzled Orca!

• Like 1

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
5 hours ago, theOrca said:

Reports that Dometic claims that the FreshJet 3, 15K and 13.5K units draw the same number of Watts/Amps has lighted my BS warning lamp.

Certainly, more BTUs means more energy. British thermal unit (BTU) | Britannica

If their BTU numbers are accurate, the 15K BTU should require 11% greater amperage other things being equal. I don't have the data you are asking for, but the 13.5K BTU Penguin II uses 15A high fan on a hot day.

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

With the vital assistance of "Rangered," I have to throw the red flag on Dometic's claim that the 13.5K and 15K versions of the FreshJet3 draw the same amperage. At max draw, my 15K unit draws 18 amps. "Rangered" measured his 13.5K version as only drawing 15 amps at max load.  Sometimes I really wonder about the nuttiness of factory claims for their equipment. It is as if their engineers and sales folks don't even know each other exist... Doh!

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

2 hours ago, theOrca said:

At max draw, my 15K unit draws 18 amps. "Rangered" measured his 13.5K version as only drawing 15 amps at max load.

Yes, those would be the numbers. I and other Oliver owners have cited here in a few posts that even the old Dometic 13.5K BTU Penguin II draws 15 amps.

15K BTU by the numbers should increase amperage by 11.1% to 16.67A. Given you're seeing 18A then the 15K model at 18A is even less efficient, while a newer model today should be more efficient. One member has measured the new Atmos 4.4 15 BTU model at 7.5A (waiting soon on a second installation to verify this number).

Given you have a sales receipt for the 13.5K model and they installed the 15K without your consent, perhaps you can request to a return/refund. Hope this works out in the end to your satisfaction.

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!