Generator mount

I am having a generator cage fabricated that will fit on the trailer tongue for a 3000 WATT Boliy (Yamaha knockoff)

Safety question...Do most folks leave the genny in place when running, or move it away from the trailer. Just a bit concerned about Carbon Monoxide poisoning. We will be dry camping a lot this Summer and will need the AC some of the time.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• Moderators

Betty and I had the 3000 efi Yamaha in a front basket and it worked well. However for convenience we turned the generator so that the exhaust was towards the Oliver. Soon black from the exhaust began to stain the fiberglass, so I had a small 90* tube welded onto the exhaust pipe which cleared the problem right on up.

We never noticed any CO2 issues.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

I performed the tongue extension today which was just remove one bolt, slide out the tongue 11 inches, and replace the bolt. Then came the hard part. Lengthen the emergency trailer chains, lengthen the Anderson Hitch chains and while I was at it relocate the chain tightening fixtures to fine tune the whole system. Now I can leave everything attached and loosen the chains by lifting the TV with the front jack. It works for now, and after a test pull I am pleased.

My initial impression is that I feel the trailer more with a longer tongue, and turning is easier...especially backing into my rather narrow driveway from a busy road. I can see the trailer better, and there is less jack knife chance. A fabricator is coming over to talk about a tongue box for the genset and/or storage. there are a number of pre fabricated boxes advertised, but they all are too large for what I want.

More to follow as the project evolves.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to juniorbirdman for donating his generator basket to #64. The installation was fairly easy. I did extend the trailer tongue to accomodate the baske, which led to extending the umbilical cord, plus Anderson hitch chains, plus safety chains.

I tried to post a photo but it would not upload. I will post on my blog at www.emeraldcoastcamper.com

Thanks again.