PORTABLE SATELLITE DISH

mountainborn

• Moderators

Nearly all of our favorite campsites are covered with large old growth oak trees. Those locally, that is. September, October and November are some of our favorite months to camp and enjoy the outdoors.

We usually enjoy the start of the television new program season that is also about that time of the year. Maybe it's the fact that it is getting dark outside earlier in the day ? Anyhow we find ourselves turning on the TV so we can view the new offerings. But we usually plan the next days activities around the weather and getting a live radar view is often very important.

We set a portable dish in a opening so we can access a satellite. However, that dish/tripod setup is a pain to carry with us. Though not very heavy, it does take up more space than we like. We often leave it behind for that very reason.

PortableSatelliteDish.jpg

So, my question is this. Anybody ever taken a hacksaw to that infernal contraption ? You know, to make it smaller. Maybe put hinges and snaps on it somehow so it would fold up smaller for transport, then unfold, for use at the campsite ?

We have all laughed at some of the Redneck solutions to technology photos that circulate on the internet. Betty says that she is worried that I may be the star of one of those photos involving a satellite dish !

• Haha 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

The vuqube is small and compact alright. It runs about $700 before taxes.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=37042&src=SRQB

They have different ones for dish and direct tv.

Seems like we use our King Dome mostly out West where timber overstory isn't as much of a issue, unless at altitude.

When boondocking we often leave our much less expensive dish outside when away. I'll bet we would be more cautious with the more expensive VuQube. :lol:

A good way to compact a $10 yardsale dish would be a cool thing I think. 8-)

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)