North Rim of the GC - Rainbow Rim Trail?

VBistro

Weather permitting this fall (I know that North Rim is over 9000ft and snow is a possibility even in mid-October), we are planning a trip that will take us near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  It’s been a bucket list item of mine for a decade to mountain bike the Rainbow Rim Trail.  I know that there is a lot of dispersed camping in the Kaibab National Forest, but I’m curious if anyone here has brought their Oliver onto some of the forest service roads off of Hwy 67 (the Grand Canyon Highway).  The place we want to camp is on the Rainbow Rim Trail about 16-20 miles from the highway.

A day trip to Rainbow Rim is not really an option — we’ll have our dog in tow, and don’t like to leave her for more than 3-4 hours.

TIA!

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
38 minutes ago, LeBill said:

the entire North Rim (access etc) shuts down sometime in October. Call ahead to confirm dates...

Wish we were going too!

Everything I’ve read is that the main road remains open until the 1st big snowstorm, or November 30th, whichever comes first.  If the weather is clear and it hasn’t snowed yet, then the forest roads to access the Rainbow Rim Trail should still be open.  We can be flexible — if it doesn’t look good, we’ll just go elsewhere.

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg