Best way to eradicate Bees in AC

Using Oliver E-II for first time this Summer.  Encountered what appears to be a nest of Carpenter Bees in the AC.

Sprayed some bee killer into the sides…still see bees.

im assuming this is not an unusual event.  Thx in advance, for best practices in successful eradication (hopefully, w/o having to take the top off)!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

My experience, the spray aggravates them and like you noted often does not work. We had this swarm in a cabinet on our deck this spring. We closed the cabinet, 2 hours after sunset, and my son and I carried it into the yard, laid it down opened so the morning sun would hit it. They left slowly over 3 days.

When dark at night they are dormant. So at night, take the cover of your A/C as a first step. If the sun hits the hive straight on, they will likely leave. If you feel braver (I got really used to them after dealing with this swarm of thousands), Take a long-handled scraper blade and dislodge the hive, toss it if you can. If you have to, be ready to descend the ladder quickly, come back later after they have settled down to do more. Dress with heavy clothes, gloves hat and safety glasses. 

Bee Hive.jpg

• Wow 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

I doubt they are Carpenter Bees or Wood Bees.  I'd bet they are honey bees.

You win.  I had Dirt Daubers.  They built nests on the fan blades which threw them off balance.  It was a matter of removing the Truma top and removing the nests.

I now turn the AC on periodically when it is stored to discourage them from doing it a gain.

You have taken it to the next level. 

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

3 hours ago, HDRider said:

I doubt they are Carpenter Bees or Wood Bees.  I'd bet they are honey bees.

The ones I showed, pictured above sure were honeybees. When they left the cabinet, they left behind a hive in the making and honey dripping. Hope they found a new good home, just not on our deck and hopefully soon not in @Marce's A/C!

1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

The ones I showed, pictured above sure were honeybees. When they left the cabinet, they left behind a hive in the making and honey dripping. Hope they found a new good home, just not on our deck and hopefully soon not in @Marce's A/C!

Bee keepers love when folks call to have a hive removed. 

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

12 minutes ago, HDRider said:

Bee keepers love when folks call to have a hive removed. 

Yeah, but...
When ours occurred in the spring, they got 40 calls that week and they never showed with over 30 in their group. We waited a couple of days and then had to do it myself.

• Wow 2