Traveling to Canada with a dog

painter&pilot

Planning a 2-6 week trip into Quebec (Trois Riviers and Montreal for family, elsewhere for scenery) and debating on taking Oscar the pug (two weeks without dog, six week if he travels with us). Looks like Canadian National parks do not allow dogs. Anyone have experience traveling in Canada with their hound?

• Moderators

When we camped in Quebec, our dog was at home with our daughter. We did see some folks traveling with pets, but not as many as we did in Ontario.

Here are a few links that might help you. Three of the Quebec parks will begin accepting dogs this year as a pilot program:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-parcs-dogs-allowed-1.3432726

A number of private campgrounds accept pets. Here's a link to Good Sam's site:

http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/searchresults.aspx?city=Trois-Rivieres&zip=&state=QC&country=CAN&name=&goodsam=0&sort=featured&radius=25&camping=0&rvparts=0&rvservice=0&rvsales=0&rvrentals=0&attractions=0&bigrigs=0&internet=0&pets=1&swimming=0&openallyear=0&tent=0&rentals=0&age=0&rating1=0&rating2=0&rating3=0&rating2perfect=0

We camped in the shoulder season (late fall), and many of the national and provincial parks had already closed their camping facilities. We stayed in a number of private campgrounds, and were very happy.

Since you have family in Quebec, you've probably already driven the Gaspe Peninsula. For us,the drive around the Peninsula alone was worth the entire trip. Breathtakingly beautiful. We stayed at a private campground, uncrowded, at a site near an ocean cliff. We watched whales from our camp site.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry

Thanks for the information. Even though we have cousins in Trois Rivieres and Montreal this will be our first trip to Canada and we hope to get some good tips on where to go and where to stay. We appreciate your ideas and will check out your suggestion. Just worried now about black flies and mosquitoes in May June and trying to figure if this requires a rethink in terms of timing.

Kathryn

• Moderators

Flies are a topic to discuss with your relatives, but in my native Minnesota, May is not a big insect month. June, especially late month, may be another story.

I hope you stay as long as you can. We loved Quebec, and hope to return soon. The landscapes were amazing, and the people were lovely. We had a wonderful time, even though I only had decades old one semester French, and a dictionary, to help me.

It's true, the further you get into the "country", away from the cities, the less English is spoken. However, most folks we found were very helpful in meeting us in the middle of our language limitations.

If not this time, the next time. do tour the Gaspe on the ocean perimiter road. Top down is best, as you hug the "wall" of the many cliffs over the ocean. The scenery is breathtaking. More than breathtaking. I'll never forget that drive, and I've been a lot of places in this world, and a lot of amazing memories. I'd rank the Gaspe in the top ten.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.