More dumb questions

whaley

As we await our trailor, we keep coming up with questions, often from suggestions that people we've met have made about what we'll need. We know much of this will be worked out as we gain experience. Here are some things mentioned to us. Any feedback?

Wheel chocks

Hitch lock

Jack pads (under the legs?)

Small portable grill (any favorites?)

Thanks again,

Tom

• Moderators

As we await our trailor, we keep coming up with questions, often from suggestions that people we've met have made about what we'll need. We know much of this will be worked out as we gain experience. Here are some things mentioned to us. Any feedback?

Wheel chocks

Hitch lock

Jack pads (under the legs?)

Small portable grill (any favorites?)

Thanks again,

Tom

>

I'll give er' a' try. We sometimes do things a bit different because we boondock, mostly.

WHEEL CHOCKS

Don't use them. If we are overnighting, our tow vehicle is attached and the jacks are likely not down. Should the wind come up enough to give the trailer a good shaking, we want to know about it, because we may need to get under something, or up next to something. The tow vehicle keys, and a small flashlight are on a hook by the door. If we are camped, the jacks are down, and there is little weight on the tires so it can't roll away. We carried them out of habit, for awhile before discontinuing, because they were necessary with a trailer that only had stabilizer jacks that could not take much weight. Even with changing a flat, the jack is down and the trailer is pretty well anchored.

HITCH LOCK

Definitely, we use the matched set that uses one key for the reciever pin lock and the hitch lock. The kind where the key inserts towards the end of the pin seems easier to operate than the kind where the key inserts 90* from the end of the pin. Some folks like the three piece set. With the third peice going into the ball socket of the hitch, with all locks keyed alike. That would be a good set for us to move into at the next excuse, because we leave our trailer in remote areas from time to time.

EDIT:

Well, I have looked everywhere and can't find the three lock set that I had in mind. Here is a single version of the bulldog hitch lock. It looks quite a bit tougher than the one I had in mind, and is a bit more expensive also.

guard_lock_big_2.jpg

JACK PADS

Like those wheel chocks, we carried them out of a habit, for awhile, before discontinuing carrying them at all. A single square of 2x8 or 2x10 for each jack foot might be in order for those times when the surface might be soft enough to need more surface contact area. The three jacks have a good sized foot on them and in most cases it is sufficient for us. Should someone camp mostly in areas where the soil is pretty soft and need a larger foot and contact area, the foot could be replaced quite easily with a shop made foot of a larger diameter. The foot attaches to the jack with one bolt. That would eliminate a storage issue, giving more room for "stuff".

SMALL PORTABLE GRILL

Yes, we wouldn't be without one. Many, on other forums, like the Webber, ect., ect.. We usually opt for the simpler is better approach and use a almost disposable thin sheetmetal grill from wally world that we replace annually. Small parts get lost or misplaced, or if used often, just plain old "cooked to death" We have a propane line attachment that plugs in a grill or fish cooker, near the refrigerator, under the edge of the coach, but tend to use it mainly for extended stays. It is commercially available and is called an "EXTEND A STAY". The flexible hose that connects to the larger grill plugs into the coach's propane line at an adapter port that comes with the kit.

Link to extend a stay web site:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/50525.htm

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

In both my Casitas, I've just used the same Wally World Propane grill, though the last one came from Ace Hdwe $29.95 and they last about 2 years. Then throw away all BUT THE REGULATOR!!!!!Keep that for a spare for you or someone else!! The legs foldover the top for a easy to store unit. Use a hose/propane rig similiar to mountainborns.

Chuck 8-)

:shock: My Teflon brain forgot to include the rest of what I wanted to say to Whaley!

The pads that will attach to your hitch and side stabilizers are called Sand Pads and several dealers carry them for a permanent mounts. I have always carried carried xtra blocks of wood for some of the boondocking I've done. These could also double as wheel chocks if you feel you need them.

Old age produces teflon on the brain....Chuck :lol: