Battery charging

Jitters

Hope everyone had a good weekend.  We saw the new movie MIDWAY yesterday and it was awesome!

Our 2017 has 4 trojan 6V flooded with the hydralink system.  I topped off the water today and removed the neg cables to the trailer. The RV is in covered storage for the winter so the solar is not help for the batteries and there is no power available.  So the logical course is to remove the 4 batteries and bring them home and put them on a charger.  

The question is, how to charge them and on what charger?  I have a charger for my motorcycle battery but that is probably not enough.  Do I charge the batteries as TWO banks of 12V,  4 banks of 6V or one bank of 12V?  I think the highest the motorcycle charger goes is 3A.

Thanks!  And happy Verteran's day tomorrow to all who served!!!!!!!!!

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

I spoke with one of the battery engineers at interstate battery (I use interstate batteries) about this very topic a couple of weeks ago.  In fact you can treat them as as TWO banks of 12V,  4 banks of 6V or one bank of 12V. The simplest way is to treat them as one bank of 12v and use a 12v tender. I use a 12v tender that is mounted to the ceiling of my shop that supports 4 batteries (tractor, generator, mower) and now my four 6v treated as one bank 12v batteries.

The battery tender may be the best tool I own.  Prior to owning it, I was alway having dead batteries on one of the motors when I most needed to start them after sitting months at a time. After getting the tender, I have not had a dead battery in years. The system is super reliable and will not over-charge your batteries. 

please find this link. they make many good products that will serve your needs http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

Thanks.  This being the case I may be able to use the charger I have for my motorcycle after all.  This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SP1297-Automatic-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0756PV96N/ref=sr_1_17?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7D927_l5QIVyB6tBh3kYgZiEAAYASAAEgI-u_D_BwE&hvadid=174223006284&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9029574&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1694643076319705681&hvtargid=kwd-2152926210&hydadcr=24627_9648891&keywords=schumacher+battery+charger&qid=1573590051&sr=8-17

So understanding that this CAN be done, is there one charging configuration that is better than the others (2x 12V vs. 4x 6V vs. 1x 12V?  Any advantages of one over another?

I am considering a lithium upgrade next season but not sure yet as it will have to include a new charger and I would probably upgrade the inverter as well.  Go Blue!  :)

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R