-
Posts
295 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
12
Everything posted by taylor.coyote
-
The above posts are all good advice. For us, it's all about payload. We are not minimalist and love to bring our toys such as kayaks, propane grill and don't like using a weight distribution hitch. We tow with an F250 short box ( pay load of about 2000lbs) . We love the truck but run at the top of the trucks capacity. If given a choice today, we would go with an F350 for more payload. We only use our truck for towing because 3/4 ton+ truck are lousy daily drives (stiff and poor turning radius). Everything to love about diesel except the current fuel prices here in crazy California. Might want to consider a gas engine for lower fuel and purchase prices. After towing with 3/4 ton, we would never consider going back to a 1/2 ton truck
-
I asked the factory about my paint / gel coat color 6 months ago. They did not have the information for my trailer (hull # 124). I solved the problem by taking the trailer's propane cover to a good automotive paint store. they had tools to shoot images of the gel coat and were able to match the color precisely. they can give you a code to mix the color needed.
-
I replaced my the orginal OEM Michelin's after 8 years use. My tire guy said the rubber was still supple with a lot of tread above the wear bars. In short the tires were reported to be safe for travel. I replaced them as 'aged out" for a 'confortable state of mind" because we spend so much time on gravel off the grid. I would truly be impressed with travelers that replace 10ply tires on an Ollie due to mileage wear vs aging out. It's my option, running "hard" tires for increased wear is an endeavor with no practical advantage. Running 10 ply tires on an Ollie at more than 50lbs is unnecessary.
-
We got our trailer in 2019 and feel like the crush of people in the outdoors was and is still significant. Our solution has been to spend most of our time off the grid, off paved roads and away from the national parks except for the off season. We have had fantastic trips Nov through Jan in the southwest the last couple of years. Count us out for mainstream campgrounds, state and national parks May through August. We must work to avoid crowds but have always found wide open space in the west side of the USA. Lots of BLM and other remote space to explore. If you are opposed to gravel roads and off-season travels, you will likely be crushed by the crowds. Yep, 100k for new trailer is a big bite. We found ours used in great shape. We did have to upgrade solar / batteries and few other things but got great value buying used. Water is the gating item for extended off the grid travel. We equipped our truck with an additional 30 gallon water tank enabling extend time off the grid. Best of luck. Hope to cross paths in the open spaces out west.
-
2022 elite 2 converter questions
taylor.coyote replied to carpenter's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
To dependably run Ollie's 1300 BTU air conditioner with a Honda 2200 requires installing a "soft start" to even the load (reduce the electical start up surge). I found this to be true to run when using 110 V as well. The devise is an easy installation and allows you to run your air condtioner with small generators or a 110 circuit. I have been running this setup for several years with a Honda 2200. and yes, these generators will charge your batteries. best of luck https://www.etrailer.com/RV-AC-Soft-Start/SoftStartRV/SSR54FR.html -
I'm thinking they came to their senses that adding colors would not sell more trailers, would increase production complexity and increase inventory costs. not a winning formula
-
Ollie spotted traveling north on California 101 / Arcata, Ca 12 noon Sept 1st. Black graphics. Not many Ollies' located on the west coast but three known Ollie's are located Arcata/Eureka area.
-
z
-
Amazing coincidence of 1743. Congratulations, Wow an Apex. I hope you enjoy your trailer and this user group as much as we have over the years. Where do you call home?
-
Thought some might get a kick out of this video clip my wife shot in our back yard and set to music last rutting season. 4 bucks.mp4
-
I don't understand the need for 900 Ah. Without getting any charging, 300Ah easily covers us for 5 days. With good sunlight our batteries are pretty much topped off every day. Can you run your air conditioner and microwave? do you run an electric induction stove top?
-
Made in USA leaf springs
taylor.coyote replied to Mountainman198's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
I think it was Mountain man that discovered Alcan Springs and made the first post in the forum. some 36 pages later in the forum, seems the has provided a great service to Oliver owners and a real bump in sales for Alcan. Thank you Mountain man, for your contribution to all of us that have broken springs and now running on Alcan. Additionally, I think the folks at Alcan might consider some recognition and maybe a modest commission for purchases made by Oliver owners. Best to you and happy torquing Mountain Man -
jd, how could I doubt you? As with most Oliver activities, you are well ahead of me
-
Jd, Yes ,every region is different. You have "invisible red dirt, we have "invisable sticky pollen" from the redwoods in the summer. My recommendation: when you rip off the old gutters, experiment and run without them for a while before installing new gutters. You have nothing to loose and may discover you don't need or want them. There will be no penalty if you decide you want to install gutters at a later date. There is a a lot written about people pulling the gutters that will never go back somewhere in the forum. I probably overstated "eliminated streaking". Running without gutters hasn't greatly reduced streaking. Keeping the roof clean is the key to eliminating streaking when running without gutters. best to you
-
Hopefully not to be seen as a contrarian, I have permanently removed rain gutters on both sides of our trailer. We got tied of all the crap getting hung up in the gutters and streaking down the side. I intend putting short gutters above the windows but have not found this to be necessary. We live on the rainy north coast of califorina and have NO REGRETS. Net results: its a lot easier to wash and keep our trailer clean and have eliminated streaking down the side of our trailer. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK.
-
Google Maps has basic travel planning that is free. Please find an example link below https://www.google.com/maps/dir/McKinleyville,+CA+95519/Medford,+Oregon/Lake+Shasta+Caverns+National+Natural+Landmark,+20359+Shasta+Caverns+Rd,+Lakehead,+CA+96051/@41.427653,-124.1908508,7.61z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x54d15c594e280e27:0x585da6f91a139f5f!2m2!1d-124.0312661!2d40.9373196!1m5!1m1!1s0x54cf7c5b37361f6d:0x7db736c5541136e!2m2!1d-122.8767396!2d42.3230112!1m5!1m1!1s0x54d27d843f61b711:0x35bb1e6f54db32a1!2m2!1d-122.3039955!2d40.8042955!3e0?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI2MDgwNC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D
-
Flora Reviewed the Teslong website and found what seems to be a qauitly wifi scope for $50 (WF150D39L3 Wi-Fi Inspection Camera with 3.9 mm Camera). It uses your phone or computer's screen vs purchasing a more expensive scope with an integrated screen. Looks like good quality and compact solution for traveling. https://teslong.com/collections/inspection-borescopes
-
Flora https://teslong.com/collections/inspection-borescopes Teslong makes a variety of quality scopes ranging from $100 to $150. The heads on these scopes are general smaller, larger screen, better images, cables are generally more supple/ easier handling, can record video and snap pictures vs low cost scopes. You can get scopes at amazon and home depot starting at $29.
-
jd, I learned a lot today. I was looking for a red wire because the center wire at other end (courtesy light toggle switch by the door) was red and not labeled. Using a scope, I started by looking up from the basement. I had pulled out all three toggle switches just below the Pantery (hot water, water pump, courtesy lights) to pull on the various wires to identify and exclude them. Accessing and scoping from the basement was unsuccessful and difficult at best. I had success pulling the plate with the tank monitors next to the toggle switch plate. Removing this place gave me a nice size cut-out enabling a good angle to maneuver the scope. I was still looking for a red wire when I came across a loose gray wire (same color as the other two wires going to the courtesy light toggle). The loose wire was labeled T46 and did the trick.
-
jd, thanks for the pic,,..yep my center red wire is missing / not connected to the toggle switch and floating somewhere in the wall..... I have the use of my neighbor's scope, hopefully I can find the center red wire. Should be / could be a quick fix ...maybe? Few would take the time to pull the toggle switch and send me the pic You are the best !!!
-
I have done some research on-line and have learned each three way toggle switch will have three wires attached. The toggle switch for the inside courtesy lights located under the Pantery has only two wires attached. Seems the middle wire is floating between the fiberglass wall below the Pantery and behind the battery compartment. I don't have a scope. Does anyone have experience fishing a wire from between the walls of this compartment? any coaching will be appreciated.
