Full Size Spare Tire

For those with 255 75R 15's you may have noticed the spare is only a 205 and a lower load range. I am a little pickey about tires and really prefer to have the same size spare with all the same specs. I took one of my 255's off and loaded it onto the spare tire rack but the cover would not fit. I didn't think it would look bad with a vinyl cover, but really wanted to keep the one from the factory.

Here is where it got a little daring and I hope Oliver doesn't hate me for this. The 255 does fit into the cover. The obstruction is what I will call the foot at the bottom of the cover. This flat rectangular piece sits on top of the aluminum diamond plate near the bumper. It appears the purpose of this foot is to help hold the cover in place.

I removed about a quarter inch of the foot to a point where it is at a tangent with the round part of the cover. This allows the cover to go on over the 255 and not interfer with closing the bumper. The fit is good if not excellent. I did have a little trouble with the cover wobbling a little and was going to get more creative, but noticed that if I tighted the tire clamp to where if pionts up and down, instead of left and right, this gave the cover a much better seat.

The only reservation I might have is about the added weight of the larger tire, but the rear wall appears to very rigged in this location. I noticed no change in the shape of the wall when the larger tire was mounted.

Below are some pics showing the mod and the fit afterwards with the 255 inside. I did add a little strip of automotive door trim protector to two sides of the bottom edge to protect from chipping. Also, the bumper closes much easier now.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your solution DCKiefer. I too am somewhat uncomfortable carrying a spare tire that doesn't have the same load rating as the others. I believe my mounted tires are only 225's (I did not upgrade to Goodyears, if that makes any difference), so my first idea is to try to fit a deflated full-size tire/wheel back there. I simply haven't had the opportunity to test this yet. Since I always travel with a small 12V compressor, it wouldn't be a big deal to inflate the tire when needed.

If that doesn't work, I may just leave it alone. After all, the spare only needs to get me to the nearest Discount Tire or whatever. As long as I don't drive 80mph on a 100+ degree day loaded to the max. 4500 lbs. while using that spare, I should be fine.

Herm

• Like 1

Herm,

Let me correct my tire size. I have been looking at car tires too and got my numbers mixed up. I have 225's.

You idea of deflating the 225 will work, but still a little tight. Before I modified the cover I tried a 225 deflated to 10 psi. I then opened the bumper and with a little bit of effort was able to ge the cover on. The problem I ran into was that the cover interferred with closing the bumper. I was able to get it closed, but decided it was something I would not be happy with on a regular basis. That lead me to the modification of the cover, which goes on easily, bumper open or closed and now the bumper is much easier to secure in the closed postion also.

• Like 1

If I understand correctly, the problem is the diameter of the 225, not the width? If that's the case, perhaps a worn 225 would eventually fit, assuming there's a reasonable amount of tread left?

Also, I wouldn't even think twice about the little bit of added weight. If my memory is correct, there's a large aluminum backing plate glassed into the exterior shell. You could probably hang a bike rack off of that spare tire post...hmmm, now there's an idea.

Herm

The issue with the 225 is the extra width of the tire. The diameter is the same as the 205. The 225 will fit inside the cover, the problem is getting the cover on with the 225 mounted on the holder. This is where my modification comes in.

• Like 1