New to this forum, looking for feedback on Lithium package

serge

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Going said:

My only thought is will the Lithium continue to change and improve with all the emphasis on green.

What was that old saying?  "You place your bets and you take your chances".  Technology is always changing.  It is likely that both charging and storage tech will continue to improve.  But, I've read recently about difficulties with both the amount of lithium available and the ability to mine it.  Will these conditions improve over the next year?  How about over the next five years?  And what about "new" storage tech that promises to totally change the way energy is stored in the first place?

Perhaps better questions to ask would be along the lines of how long do you expect to keep your Oliver?  What climates do you plan to use it in?  What is the "payback" time on the lithiums versus the answers to the first question versus what the potential impact on resale value?

Certainly not an easy thing to figure out!  Good luck!

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

4 hours ago, dewdev said:

Yes, you need DC power to run the  controls of the refrigerator. With the dead batteries, you will likely not see any of  the control lights being lite.

Also, the owner's manual for the refrigerator tells you that you need 12V power (or plugged into 120V power which gets changed to 12V).

Thanks for the reply.  Saves me some diagnostic work!

4 hours ago, topgun2 said:

What was that old saying?  "You place your bets and you take your chances".  Technology is always changing.  It is likely that both charging and storage tech will continue to improve.  But, I've read recently about difficulties with both the amount of lithium available and the ability to mine it.  Will these conditions improve over the next year?  How about over the next five years?  And what about "new" storage tech that promises to totally change the way energy is stored in the first place?

Perhaps better questions to ask would be along the lines of how long do you expect to keep your Oliver?  What climates do you plan to use it in?  What is the "payback" time on the lithiums versus the answers to the first question versus what the potential impact on resale value?

Certainly not an easy thing to figure out!  Good luck!

Bill

Thanks Bill.  Yes I agree with the latter questions. For me with my plans it is a must vs simply replacing aging technology.  Bottom line is I have to have DC power and the cost/value reward is there.  Just didn’t know if anyone knew of something on the immediate horizon.  I don’t much like that I have to wait until Feb I think before Oliver can do the upgrade but at least its the winter time!

4 hours ago, dewdev said:

Yes, you need DC power to run the  controls of the refrigerator. With the dead batteries, you will likely not see any of  the control lights being lite.

Also, the owner's manual for the refrigerator tells you that you need 12V power (or plugged into 120V power which gets changed to 12V).

10 minutes ago, Going said:

Thanks for the reply.  Saves me some diagnostic work!

But shouldn’t it work when the trailer is plugged into my truck since there is a charging lead to the AGM batteries from the vehicle?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Going said:

But shouldn’t it work when the trailer is plugged into my truck since there is a charging lead to the AGM batteries from the vehicle?

Since the charge from the truck must go through the batteries and if the batteries are toast then there is no way for that charge to get to the fridge - or anything else for that matter.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"