Heading to southern Utah - 1st time

Coming from eastern VA along I-40 has been a fun journey so far - although a bit warm these last few days in AR & OK. From Homolovi SP, AZ, we’re planning to take I-40 to US-89 up to Kanab RV Corral in UT, then continue along US-89 to I-70 and down US-191 to Moab. Really looking forward to seeing the canyons, but we’ve never been in these areas, so any advice on my chosen route would be greatly appreciated. We’re towing our 2022 LE2 with a ‘22 Ram 1500 eco diesel.

• Like 1

‘22 Ram 1500 4x4 Eco-diesel | ‘22 OTT LE2 hull # 1056 | Eastern VA

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

It’s been a while since I was on 89, but if the weather is clear I would definitely consider a stop at Bryce Canyon. Bryce is at about 9000 feet so if the weather isn’t clear it will be clouded in. The road into moab is easy but moab may be busy. Lots to do in Moab. Arches, delicate arch is my favorite and fiery furnace is also great but requires reservations. If arches is too busy, consider Corona arch, the numerous dinosaur raceways, the birthing petroglyph up kane creek road. Cable arch is also up Kane creek road but requires a very steep scramble up a dry waterfall/wash that is a little technical.  I’m not much off a four wheeler, but we had a blast renting a UTV and doing Hells Revenge. It looks intimidating, but the UTV climbed and descended like a goat and made it easy.  I would strongly recommend the Desert Bistro for dinner!  

• Like 2

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

I have spent a lot of time in this area though I do not live there (live in Montana). Understand this area has had a lot of rain these past few days from Hurricane Hilary that hit CA so flash floods are still a high warning especially in the slot canyons. Arches NP now requires advanced RSVP's just to get in the door, timed entries but the last time I checked a few weeks ago visitation was down about 20% for the year, evidently people didn't want to put up with this system and decided to go elsewhere. It will be VERY CROWDED still. Same for Zion NP too. Thats the bad news the good news is there are places within BLM land that is equally good just not the crowds. I personally prefer to boondock or stay in more remote campgrounds. Also consider the San Rafael Swell & Reef as well as some of the state parks such as Goblin Valley but that campground books up way ahead of time getting an RSVP this late might be iffy. Cell service in all these areas is sketchy at best or non existent. Grandstaircase-Escalante National Monument is huge but also well worth the effort although you will have to work for the rewards a bit more than some of the other national parks where everything is laid out on a silver platter for you. Consider stopping in at some of the outdoor recreation stores and pick up maps. The National Geographic Illustrated Trail maps are excellent and waterproof too. Moab does have an excellent visitor center in the heart of town where they sell maps, books etc. 

I could go on for hours on places to go without the crowds but much depends on what you are looking to do and where you like to stay. Hope this helps but ask away if you have more questions.

• Like 2

Legacy Elite II #70

5 hours ago, Rolind said:

clear I would definitely consider a stop at Bryce Canyon

Thanks for the info, and the suggestion to stop at Desert Bistro. We’re going to try hiking in Zion, Bryce, Arches and Canyonlands. Because this is our first trip ever to this area, and our first time towing our Oliver out west, I’m wondering whether we may be overdoing it. Guess I’ll find out soon enough. What I’m most unsure about is the actual drive up 89 to I-70 and then down 191 while towing. Looks on paper like lots of steep grades.

3 hours ago, routlaw said:

Arches NP now requires advanced RSVP's

Thanks for the great advice. Our plan is to visit Zion, Bryce, Arches, and Canyonlands. We did reserve a timed entry pass for Arches, so we’re good to go there. We’re using the NPS app and an app called “National Parks” for detailed info about the parks. Packed with maps, trails, etc.

My wife and I have lived in PA and VA our entire lives and only stopped out west a few times for business…never really got a chance to see any of the fantastic scenery. Retired a few years ago, bought an Ollie in ‘22 and camped around the east coast last year to get used to towing and camping. We’re so used to seeing trees, trees, trees, it’s amazing to finally see wide open spaces (we just made it to NM). Can’t wait to see all the canyons and different rock formations.

So, for this east coast guy, should I expect the mountain grades on US-89, US-191 and I-70 to be a bit challenging, or not too much worse than I-64 and I-81 (if you’ve traveled in VA)?

Both routes should not be an issue, have done many times with an F150 with 3.5 Eco-Boost. Yes there are some hills along the way but nothing insurmountable. As for overdoing it, depends on how much time you have. If you are doing Canyonlands I would highly recommend the Needles District south of Moab. You will not be disappointed. Campground fills up each day and they now are RSVP's but there are quite a few BLM campgrounds on the road leading into the Needles. Do not even think out loud about the Maze District unless you hire a guide to take you in there. However if you have the time, Horseshoe Canyon a very remote part of Canyonlands and also adjacent to the Maze is well worth while. Beautiful area and pictographs that will blow you away.

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

7 minutes ago, routlaw said:

Now if you really want a challenge head up to Jackson and over Teton Pas

Next year, maybe???🤣. Actually, if this trip goes OK, next year we hope to visit your neck of the woods, our destination being the Tetons. Ahh, retired life in an Ollie 🤗

• Like 2