Microwave tripping GFIC receptacle at Inverter when attached to shore power

SNY SD UP

This just started happening while on the Road up here in AK. 

We have been mostly boon-docking thru Canada & Alaska, but will grab a power site if we need a change of pace.
This just started happening at our last full service site, after using it. Once the microwave (MW) finished its time, we opened the MW for the next item and it tripped the GFIC. It is now happening  EVERY TIME we ‘open the MW door’ it trips the GFIC outlet at the Inverter. 

0) we no not use the MW often, even when hooked to 30a shore power. 
1) MW plug is secure in it’s receptacle. 
2) power at connection post appears to be good. No issues with PMS display codes in attic. 
3) we can run (one at a time) coffee maker or toaster from 110 outlets above kitchen area w/o issues. 
4) while boon-docking, we did run MW for about 30sec’s, w/o issues.  And used it later ON with 30a hookup w/o issue.
5) I have not tried loading it with food, closing door, resetting the receptacle, then seeing if we enter times, if it will run or not. 

Any ideas short of disassembling MW door, to look for some issue within door latching mechanism. 

I am not opposed to having to buy a NEW MW on the road, but not in Valdez. We will wait until Anchorage. 
Then the question is, any particular brand for use in the Oliver?

BMW, 

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

The first thing I would do is to plug the MW into a standard 110 outlet using a GFCI extension cord like This one. If it doesn't trip when you open the door then your GFCI outlet on your Ollie is most likely going bad, and if it does trip, then the MW itself is the issue.

• Like 4

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

CRM, TY FOR THE REPLY  

We are in Valdez, for a few days. 
I’ll look into that type of GFIC cord at local hdwe store tomorrow. Otherwise it will be Anchorage. 

I was thinking the same, but unplugging the MW from trailer receptacle and plugging into a #12 (<20’) ext. cord, then plug that Ext cord into the 110 receptacle w/GFIC at power post, and testing it that way.  
I know there electrical ‘formulas’ about drawing a current through an ext cord, dealing with the wire size & length of the run.  And do not want to skew the test, that you have recommended. 
Which makes sense to me. 

BMW 

• Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

Brilliant, I see you included the Wasilla, AK store. We will be passing through there. 
Maggie will not give me any grief if  ‘Another Tool’ helps us resolve this issue. 

Kind of a toss up though as far as the expense of a MW  purchase vs. the effort to replace the GFIC on the inverter. 

Thanks again 

• Like 1

MW issue resolved,

well kind of…

plugged MW directly into a 12-3 20’ ext cord, then into site power post which had a 110 GFIC receptacle,

opened the door and that tripped GFIC breaker at power post.  

Whew…  so glad it was not GFIC @ Inverter.  

We unplugged MW, “we’re going in”… 

Opened up case,

Found a loose part, 

image.thumb.png.becfc5c5d7ce0bfce2eeb248cedeed70.png

IMG_3107.thumb.jpeg.4f0bb99e46dc4adaa43f6e5644ba764d.jpeg

Spent considerable time trying to find out where it might be within the case. 

Could not figure/find where it went, SO

Closed up case, 

Reinstalled MW into cabinet.  NO EASY FEAT…

MW no longer trips GFIC @ inverter. 

As soon as we can FIND ONE, we will get to Appliance store and ask about loose part. 

MW is a High Pointe installed in 2020 in our LEII. 

Model# EM925AQR

BMW 

Edited by SNY SD UP
Prev reply was dup