Running Inverter Straight Off Battery Pack?

Our 2019 Elite Legacy II trailer - which we bought used - is probably pretty unique - it has just about everything anyone could want - but no inverter.  

After hooking up Starlink the lithium batteries in the van died. I revived them with the car battery and ramped down the energy usage and the batteries appear to be restored.  

My question is would it have been or is it possible to attach the Bestek 400-watt inverter to one of the batteries in the battery pack of the Oliver and get some energy out of it while the lithium batteries in the van were being restored (by the solar panels) ?

Edited by Cort

2023 Chevrolet Express 4x4 - 2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull 529 - Roaming the Western US with Skye (my dog) (and at times my Canadian partner). 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

Sure, you can connect an inverter to the main + and - connections on the Oliver batteries (not just one Oliver battery).  Just watch your battery consumption. 

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Thanks! 

Can you say where in the below picture I should connect if I ever try this?

0?ui=2&ik=689b87b40f&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r3802971264879980177&th=191810040b8c840d&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8ATw2sncj1N_1Lkv59VCMVmVQ2fbeJNEJRNj_GHXhaLp_ORq0oYHhtxpMTGOecaZjUQSPyTAQdiXbALLXSxYQA0fLlv_f1aS74F3k3w2VKH1TNAph8GzI3V5E&disp=emb&realattid=191810024c7360ee42e1

2023 Chevrolet Express 4x4 - 2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull 529 - Roaming the Western US with Skye (my dog) (and at times my Canadian partner). 

Can't see the photo. Typically the + and - terminals of the batteries are all connected together with short cables, + to +, - to -. One + and one - will also have a large cable leaving them and going off into the trailer body. These are the terminals you'd connect to. Make sure you don't mix them up. Usually red + and black -.

Edited by Steph and Dud B
  • Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Thanks! Going into the trailer body is what I need. 🙂

17 hours ago, Cort said:

After hooking up Starlink the lithium batteries in the van died.

Just a couple options for you to consider...

1. Install a 12v - 12v DC charger.  This device will connect between your TV alternator and your Oliver batteries ensuring they are topped off after towing after a few hours (depending upon its output, 30amp and 50amp output units are available).

2. Modify your SL kit to run directly off DC power.   Inverters are inherently inefficient as they "invert" DC power from your battery bank into AC electrical power - maybe 70 - 80% efficient, if you're lucky.  Your OEM SL system will operate from an AC power outlet right out of the box from Star Link - then it converts that AC power to approx 40vDC in the dishy.  So, essentially, using a 400W inverter from your Oliver battery box to your SL router, then the SL converts the AC power back to DC power, thus, you're increasing the inefficiency "twice".  By converting the SL to 12vDC you can avoid these inefficiencies when boondocking and conserving your Oliver battery DC power storage at the same time.

There are multiple threads on making this SL modification in these forums, FYI....

Cheers!

• Like 4

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

4 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Just a couple options for you to consider...

1. Install a 12v - 12v DC charger.  This device will connect between your TV alternator and your Oliver batteries ensuring they are topped off after towing after a few hours (depending upon its output, 30amp and 50amp output units are available).

2. Modify your SL kit to run directly off DC power.   Inverters are inherently inefficient as they "invert" DC power from your battery bank into AC electrical power - maybe 70 - 80% efficient, if you're lucky.  Your OEM SL system will operate from an AC power outlet right out of the box from Star Link - then it converts that AC power to approx 40vDC in the dishy.  So, essentially, using a 400W inverter from your Oliver battery box to your SL router, then the SL converts the AC power back to DC power, thus, you're increasing the inefficiency "twice".  By converting the SL to 12vDC you can avoid these inefficiencies when boondocking and conserving your Oliver battery DC power storage at the same time.

There are multiple threads on making this SL modification in these forums, FYI....

Cheers!

The first is on the list 🙂and I will look for the SL mods - Thanks!