Wilson WeBoost Cellular Antenna Mounting ?

I purchased a new-to-me 2015 Oliver Elite. The old original Wilson 4G cell booster was not working.  So, i installed a new weBoost Drive Reach cell booster with new internal and external antennas.  The new weBoost did not work.  Just like the old Wilson 4G cell booster, the "field test" mode on my iphone 15 Pro Max showed that the LTE RsrpRsrqSinr reading (-115 dBm) increased very little (2 to 3 dBM) when the booster was powered on.  After many calls to Wilson weBoost customer support it was determined that the problem was the external antenna.   The attached photo shows the 3 antenna options that I have been installed.  Only option 3 worked.

Antenna Option 1.  The old original Wilson antenna (photo of a "stick with a ball on top" antenna, closest to camera) did not work.

Antenna Option 2. A new Wilson shark fin antenna mounted on the original metal pad and connected to the original bolt protruding from the roof (installed in photo) does NOT work.

Antenna Option 3.  Another Wilson shark fin antenna with factory coax temporally installed by running it through the dinette window to the new weBoost Drive Reach cell booster.  it WORKS! (But Id rather not drive down the road with the coax wagging in the wind.)

Only, option 3 (Wilson shark fin with factory coax running through the window) works when the antenna is positioned on the metal pad. (And when the iPhone is using a "supported ATT band".)  Again, Wilson customer support determined that the problem somewhere in the external antenna - most likely caused by a break in the coax or the manner that the antenna is connected to the bolt protruding from the roof.  I have traced the coax as far as I can and did not find a break.  Also, the very slight gain (2-3 dBm) in signal strength when the booster is powered indicates that there is not a break in the coax. Therefore, I'm guessing the problem must be the way that the antenna is connected to the bolt???

Because the trailer is new-to-me I do not know if the original "stick and ball" antenna was mounted by the factory or a prior owner. Or, if the way the coax is attached to the bolt is correct.

Requests: 

1. Could someone look at the photo of option 2 (the new shark fin connected to the roof bolt) and tell me if this is the way the factory would have mounted the antenna?   

2. Could someone tell me how to mount the shark fin correctly to the roof bolt (without drilling a hole in the roof) so that the shark fin sends ample signal to the booster?

Thank you in advance. 🙂 

WEBOOST Options.JPG

Edited by Dirt Duff
clarity

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
2 hours ago, Dirt Duff said:

Could someone tell me how to mount the shark fin correctly to the roof bolt (without drilling a hole in the roof) so that the shark fin sends ample signal to the booster?

I would remove the bolt and use that hole to run the new cable. The bolt likely has a wire attached going into the interior. You might be able to use the existing cable to pull the new cable through to the interior. Then clean up the rooftop mess until you get it completely clean with rubbing alcohol. Use 3M 4950 VHB tape to connect the Shark Fin to the roof. Add a little dab of caulk to seal the cable opening.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

The rooftop-mounted external antennas may work under optimum conditions, but I wanted an antenna up high to clear obstructions (trees, topography). I’ve gotten cell service in parks claiming to not have cell service with a weBoost Drive X-RV setup; for instance Davis Mountains SP in West Texas. 

IMG_4092.thumb.jpeg.5d70a80e2f3891a7582b470b13cb83d7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579:

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables, auxiliary Cerbo-S GX/Victron 30A Blue Smart IP22 Charger combo, Dreiha Atmos 4.4 a/c upgrade.

2019 GMC Savana 2500 Cargo Van:

6.0L V8 Vortec, 6-Speed Automatic; Explorer Limited SE, Low-Top 7 Passenger van conversion, RWD.