Tennessee State Parks

SeaDawg

• Moderators

During the delay on our project in NC last week, we took a few bonus days to visit three of Tennessee's state parks. Fall Creek Falls S P near Lynchburg was recommended to us by a camper at another park, and he was so right. This park is more like a resort... Olympic pool, inn, restaurant with buffet, golf course, beautiful trails and waterfalls, and an ampitheater. Concerts on Saturday evenings all summer long. The bluegrass concert we attended was awesome. I think you could stay here a week and still have plenty to do.... We'll be back.

Downside... the campsites are fairly close together, and some of the roads in the campgrounds are very small.... Not a problem for an Oliver, but we watched one poor guy struggle with a 30 footer for about a half hour, trying to get into a tight spot.... Info in Woodall's is limited, check the state website instead. $20.00, less if you're a senior.

Here's a cell phone photo of Fall Creek Falls.... over 250 feet high, and quite beautiful...

Falcrkfalls.jpg

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Paul and I have become very fond of eastern and middle Tennessee... In 2006 and 2007 we spent a lot of time in eastern TN, and this past year have discovered how beautiful middle TN is. as well..

We only had the chance to spend four or five days in TN this trip... Cedars of Lebanon, David Crockett State Park, and Falls Creek Falls... each was different, but special. Then we moved on to Tellico Plains and the Cherohola Pkwy from TN to NC... That curvy, mounainous drive is short but wonderful, amazing, and should not be missed by anyone traveling anywhere near... We've been so close so many times, and had no idea what a great drive this is!!

Right now, we're in NY state, visiting family, then on thru the Catskills to CT for a wedding.... It's been a wonderful trip... great weather, great scenery, and a nice balance of wilderness and family get togethers... Most of the last week has been spent in western NY. The hills aren't as rugged as TN, NC or VA, but the farm country of western NY has a charm all its own, and so many of the historic small towns are lovely. Bought some great sweet corn, tomatoes, and peaches on a farm today... great food, too!

When we have more time on the internet at home, I'll try to post some pix. That will be sometime next week.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks to you folks for posting these tidbits of info about Tennessee and surrounding areas. My wife and I will be traveling northward, up the Naches Trace, to Hohenwald to pick up our new trailer in late September. We will stick around and see the area while we are testing our new Oliver.

Any good local eating places, towns, sights, or campgrounds, especially the National Forests and Parks, where we get half price, that you would recommend would be much appreciated. When is the peak for fall colors in and north of Tennessee? Mid to late October? We will also visit my wife's sister in Eastern Tennessee (Athens), and perhaps go on out to the East Coast, where I have never been.

How about West Virginia? I've never been and I bet is it pretty in the fall. How about the Amish area of Pennsylvania? The opportunities are limitless, I suppose. We have the time but we have to watch our budget, especially after dipping into our retirement savings for the trailer.

• Moderators

The Tennessee park system is terrific, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. We stayed in three on our last trip, Cedars of Lebanon, David Crockett, and Fall Creek Falls. They are also very reasonable (even more so if you're a senior!). They have a very nice website with a map to help you plan your trip. Paul and I prefer the state and national parks over RV parks and resorts... Not only is the price better, but there's usually more space per site, more trees, and something to do (hiking, biking, swimming, etc.) right there... And, we usually find people in the parks to be very friendly.

Many of the parks have no or minimal hookups, but we don't find that to be a big deal, either. We're well equipped for it with the Oliver.

Here's a link to Tennessee's award winning parks:

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/

Last year, as I recall, the leaves were in their prime in Eastern TN and Western NC the last week of October and the first week of November. We were in Boone/Banner Elk around that time (the Woolly Worm Festival), and they were particularly beautiful in that area. I hope you and your wife will have the time to stick around for the fall foliage... It's well worth it!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4