Flexible solar panels

John E Davies

In my head I really like the idea of replacing the ugly and water catching flat glass “dining room table” that sits on Mouse’s roof, with snug fitting, lightweight plastic ones. It would look SO much better, self drain, and be more clear of wind, bugs and tree branches. Reality sets in.

They trap heat against the roof, so they run hot; are prone to scratching and cracking; have a much shorter life expectancy; and they cost more. Plus there are a lot of panels being made with poor quality “second” cells.

Intersting article here.... https://cargovanconversion.com/10280/the-current-state-of-flexible-solar-panels

Maybe I will swap mine out in ten years when the technology is better.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I agree, I wish the Oliver install was less table-like.  I actually like what they did for Overland's panel layout.

The flexible panels leave much to be desired at this point.  Although I like what Kimberley does with flexible panels: bond them to a second "tropical" roof layer which has an air gap between it and the main roof.  This eliminates the heat issue and provides secondary insulation benefits against the sun beating down.  But there goes the weight advantage from flexible panels.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg