Honda Odyssey for tow

simplesong

I own a 2006 Odyssey Touring. It came with what Honda called a towing package, but not a hitch. I had the hitch installed by a Honda Dealer. They would not install the brake controller. I had an outside company make that install. Additionally I had that same company install overload air bags to stiffen the rear suspension. I left Arizona for Tenn. to pick up my trailer. It was obvious when the trailer was hooked up that my tow vehicle would be marginal at best. It towed great back to Arizona, but gas mileage averaged 13mpg; disappointing. I then towed to Washington State, with the highest pass being about 4300 ft. The trailer and vehicle probably were overloaded with stuff (we take fruit from our trees up to family and friends) and there were times when I had to go from overdrive to drive 3 on hills, also times when stopped on hills at stoplights in cities that I had to drop into 1 to get going. For my own peace of mind I traded in one of my other vehicles and bought a Chev Tahoe to use as my tow vehicle. I had my trailer weighed with full water and propane tanks and food, clothes and stuff for camping. The weights are as follows: Axel 3560 Hitch weight 340 and a total weight of 3900 lbs. I still use the Honda occasionally to tow when in the relatively flat southwest; but mostly I use the Tahoe. Even though I traded tow vehicles I am happy that I bought the Oliver; for me it was a better fit than other fiberglass trailers I looked at. I hope this information helps.

• Moderators

Jerry43,

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the forum.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.