Rubber mat Oliver uses in Cabinets

Does anyone know the brand of black rubber matting Oliver currently uses in the storage compartments?  We like it better than the "spongey" black non-skid toolbox mat we've purchased for use in drawers.  The mat Oliver uses is ribbed and more rigid than what we've found.

Thanks

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff
  • Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

10 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Does anyone know the brand of black rubber matting Oliver currently uses in the storage compartments?  We like it better than the "spongey" black non-skid toolbox mat we've purchased for use in drawers.  The mat Oliver uses is ribbed and more rigid than what we've found.

Thanks

Do you think this is it?  We don't want it to be real heavy/thick, but rather to protect the metal bottom in a pickup bed tool box and keep things from sliding around.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubber-Cal-Corrugated-Fine-Rib-3-ft-x-4-ft-Black-Rubber-Flooring-12-sq-ft-03-167-W-FR-04/302640296?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_Brand-G-Multi-NA-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Catchall_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_Brand-G-Multi-NA-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Catchall_PLA-71700000014585962-58700001236285396-92700010802552376&gclid=CjwKCAiAuoqABhAsEiwAdSkVVBrkA2pLy8eRRonMEuxrZCa0xNWwp4eYFkBPm_dn40KRuWjzJoTlUBoCZbsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Will be picking up the toolbox at Home Depot, so it would be a bonus if we could purchase it there.  This is the tool box; we finally found one high enough to carry a Yamaha 2200i generator.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weather-Guard-62-Diamond-Plate-Aluminum-Full-Size-Chest-Truck-Tool-Box-684-0-01/206497973

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

I have that mat in my Wish List for use under the batteries and also for my tool box drawers. It is the same price with Prime free delivery and free returns. If you want a little less hassle than HD order it and you can return it from any UPS Store if you don’t like it. You can post a review here so I will know if it will work for me😬

Rubber-Cal 03_167_W_RC_04 Ramp Cleat Non-Slip Outdoor Rubber Floor Mats, 1/8" Thick x 3' x 4', Black

That box looks nice, do you know the metal gauge (thickness)? It is heavy so I expect it is pretty thick; I bought a Better Bilt 30” long ATV box and it only weighed 17 pounds. The metal was so soft and thin you could bend it with your hands, a drop to the floor would have destroyed it. It was dead soft ornamental aluminum, not structural (tempered, like 6061 T6). I had it mounted inside an SUV for recovery gear storage so weight mattered more than strength. They should change the name to “Not Even Close To Better Bilt”.

How do you plan to get your generator in and out of the box? It seems like a recipe for a ruined back or a hernia. You definitely can’t run it inside there as you could on a bed slide.

Here is the box manufacturer’s web page for the box, there are many mixed reviews, you might want to read them. Even there they do not mention the specs on the metal. One thing that bothers me about any bolted down bed box is how do you clean debris from around and in front of it? A tonneau reduces that concern... a little.

https://www.weatherguard.com/products/truck-tool-boxes-equipment/boxes/AllPurposeChest/684-0-01

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I have that mat in my Wish List for use under the batteries and also for my tool box drawers. It is the same price with Prime free delivery and free returns. If you want a little less hassle than HD order it and you can return it from any UPS Store if you don’t like it. You can post a review here so I will know if it will work for me😬

Rubber-Cal 03_167_W_RC_04 Ramp Cleat Non-Slip Outdoor Rubber Floor Mats, 1/8" Thick x 3' x 4', Black

I think it's the Rubber-Cal-03_167_W_FR_06 

I might order it in 4' width. Since it has to be trimmed to 27" this will leave a 21" wide piece that can be used elsewhere.

That box looks nice, do you know the metal gauge (thickness)? 

It is 16 gauge.  I called and talked to Weatherguard Customer Care . . . . they are awesome!  I was asking, specifically, the interior dimensions of the box.  The lady I spoke could not find that information, but conferred with the engineers;  as we were waiting for an answer, she gave me a lot of information regarding warranty, service, how to get replacement keys, etc.  The engineers had the measurements back to her in just a few minutes - in thousandths of an inch: 57.848"l (between strut guards); 26.875"w (bottom width - box is tapered); 18.977"h (Yamaha generator is 18.5").

How do you plan to get your generator in and out of the box? It seems like a recipe for a ruined back or a hernia. 

The box will be used for safeguarding the generator when not in use as well as a tabletop BBQ, Viair compressor, fuel, small propane tank, and small theft-prone items.  I think the box will be full; good that we have a 1-ton pickup!

The Yamaha 2200i weighs 55# and has dual handles so two people can easily lift it out of the box.  Honestly, we haven't used a generator much in the past, mostly because our class C motorhome's 4K onboard generator was simply too noisy.  We do expect this to change with our Oliver as we will be able to do more boondocking and the Yamaha will be a tad quieter.  

Here is the box manufacturer’s web page for the box, there are many mixed reviews.

Of the less than 5-star reviews, two are related to fit; I confirmed with WG that the box will fit our F-350's 8' bed.  The mention of water seeping in around the lock, if truly a problem, could most likely be resolved with a rubber cap or such; The 1-star reviewer could have easily reached out to Weatherguard (not sure why he couldn't find the Customer Care number; I had no problem).  Had there been more poor reviews regarding the locking mechanism, I would be concerned.  It appears to be the same lock system use by other better quality tool boxes, such as Jobox.

One thing that bothers me about any bolted down bed box is how do you clean debris from around and in front of it?

My husband plans to strap the box to the bed cargo anchors, in the event we need to remove it to haul something big.  Or, possibly install braces between the box and the tailgate.  We have a son, a mechanical engineer, who is great at thinking "outside the box" - yes, pun intended 😁; he may have some good ideas. BTW: when he came to "approve" our Oliver, he was extremely impressed - especially with the aluminum fabrication (frame, steps, and bumper).

A tonneau reduces that concern... a little.

An advantage to this in the bed box is that it can be used with a tonneau if we should decide we need one; but I doubt that we will.

Let me know what you think about the "FR" (fine rib) vs the "RC" (ramp cleat) mats

Ray and Susan Huff

I have no personal knowledge of either, they appear to be very similar, I think the Ramp Cleat version I am looking at has wider ridges and narrow slots. The Fine Rib you are looking at has evenly spaced narrow ridges and slots. I suspect that the latter would be softer and more flexible, great for lining drawers for light objects, but maybe not so good as the other for supporting really heavy equipment like a generator (or my batteries). I suspect that the Ramp Cleat is pretty sturdy. Mainly I want to protect the paint of the battery tray, yet allow a small amount of air circulation to prevent moisture from being trapped there.

Order both, send back the one you like they least. Post your review here.... 😬😬😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I have no personal knowledge of either, they appear to be very similar, I think the Ramp Cleat version I am looking at has wider ridges and narrow slots. The Fine Rib you are looking at has evenly spaced narrow ridges and slots. I suspect that the latter would be softer and more flexible, great for lining drawers for light objects, but maybe not so good as the other for supporting really heavy equipment like a generator (or my batteries). I suspect that the Ramp Cleat is pretty sturdy. Mainly I want to protect the paint of the battery tray, yet allow a small amount of air circulation to prevent moisture from being trapped there.

Order both, send back the one you like they least. Post your review here.... 😬😬😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

I searched, and it doesn't look like the Ramp Cleat mat comes in 4' width, so I guess I'll get the Fine Rib.

Ray and Susan Huff