Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Question for those with the new Dometic cooktop (2021 installations) with the cast iron grid:

The burner assembly (top plate and base it rests on) came loose.  Is this normal?  Nothing appears to be broken.

There are two pins that fit into holes in the bottom of the cooktop, but I can find no way to lock the burner back in place; the rear burner is snuggly attached.  I don't want to call Oliver or Dometic until I find out if there is an easy solution.

I know . . . . .  pictures are nice!  I'll take some and share, when I get the chance later today.

Thanks

 

P1080047.JPG

P1080048.JPG

P1080046.JPG

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

What came loose? Just the top? (2) or the spreader beneath? (1)

My smev is attached though the canceling cap (2), with screws , so not like yours.

If the spreader (1) came loose, I'd start a service ticket. It should not come loose, and the assembly should be attached to the lp line under the cooktop, I'm thinking.

I poked around trying to find a service manual for your model, and came up empty handed. I'm thinking its kind of like my smev,  and there's a gas jet in the center hole.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SeaDawg said:

What came loose? Just the top? (2) or the spreader beneath? (1)

My smev is attached though the canceling cap (2), with screws , so not like yours.

If the spreader (1) came loose, I'd start a service ticket. It should not come loose, and the assembly should be attached to the lp line under the cooktop, I'm thinking.

I poked around trying to find a service manual for your model, and came up empty handed. I'm thinking its kind of like my smev,  and there's a gas jet in the center hole.

Both pieces are loose.  I wouldn't worry so much about the top; but, as you mention, the bottom being loose might morph into an issue with the gas supply.

I do believe the gas jet is in the center . . . . that's the way our home gas cooktop is, with similar spreader, though it just sits on the top with ears that match up with slots.

I will initiate a service ticket and see what transpires.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

To get to the gas jet, and tubing beneath, I have to lift up the entire cooktop.

You're under warranty.  I'd let someone else do it.

Dometic ships those assembled.  I'd believe this is a dometic issue.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 3:43 PM, SeaDawg said:

To get to the gas jet, and tubing beneath, I have to lift up the entire cooktop.

You're under warranty.  I'd let someone else do it.

Dometic ships those assembled.  I'd believe this is a dometic issue.

Definitely a Dometic issue . . . . still under warranty . . . . . I'll see what Oliver says - if there have been other instances of this issue.  

I wonder if items stored in the drawer under the stove could cause problems.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

 

I wonder if items stored in the drawer under the stove could cause problems.

I don't think so. We've had our cooktop out. The area between the cooktop and drawers is sealed with plywood, at least in ours.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I contacted a couple of our local RV repair shops.  The first available appointment at one is the end of July.  Another has an appointment this week, but they charge a $135 diagnostic fee, not covered by warranty!  Half the cost of a new stove.

I'm sure, if I contact Dometic, they will want the stove shipped to them before replacement.

Perhaps if Oliver initiates the repair, there would be no diagnostic fee or ????

I'm waiting to hear back regarding the July appointment, which is an independent repair shop and not a dealer, if they charge a diagnostic fee, as well.  Maybe this is standard policy.  I suspect the dealer shop is charging a fee since we didn't purchase the RV from them 😠

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Did you open a service ticket yet? 

Someone from Oliver may be able to help you do it yourself, if you're comfortable working with gas. Or, they'll help you get it taken care of at an rv repair. Their warranty wraps Dometic's warranty.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

If your burner is like my smev, the pieces you've shown don't actually carry any fuel. There's a little gas jet, attached to a fixed gas tube, that supplies the fuel. It looks like a small, thin brass nut. (Mine is 11 mm, I think.)

The alloy base plate with the ridges supplies air to the jet,  "spreading " the flames. My guess is the base plate is attached by a couple of machine screws from the bottom, meaning you'd have to remove the cooktop to reattach it, like the small burner.

The stainless steel cap is not fixed on yours. Mine is held on by old, stubborn, corroded and stripped screws.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2021 at 1:16 PM, SeaDawg said:

Did you open a service ticket yet? 

Someone from Oliver may be able to help you do it yourself, if you're comfortable working with gas. Or, they'll help you get it taken care of at an rv repair. Their warranty wraps Dometic's warranty.

Thanks for the encouragement . . . . . . I did open a ticket.  Still waiting to hear back.

I do hope Oliver can help; I called around to local shops and there are a couple that are certified for Dometic warranty.  However, they charge a diagnostic fee ($75-135) which is not covered by the warranty.  I explained there is nothing to diagnose; the burner simply detached from the base.  Besides, its a $227 appliance!

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-50216-2-Burner-Propane-Cooktop/dp/B085J1RSWD/ref=asc_df_B085J1RSWD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459648088933&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9492047895167854305&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033074&hvtargid=pla-944460478530&psc=1

Hoping Oliver can do better than that.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

If your burner is like my smev, the pieces you've shown don't actually carry any fuel. There's a little gas jet, attached to a fixed gas tube, that supplies the fuel. It looks like a small, thin brass nut. (Mine is 11 mm, I think.)

The alloy base plate with the ridges supplies air to the jet,  "spreading " the flames. My guess is the base plate is attached by a couple of machine screws from the bottom, meaning you'd have to remove the cooktop to reattach it, like the small burner.

The stainless steel cap is not fixed on yours. Mine is held on by old, stubborn, corroded and stripped screws.

There is an attachment to the base for the striker, which I assume is connected to 12v power. 

It's a mystery that the top plate is not attached because it is on the burner that is firmly affixed.  Not sure if something popped loose or what; have yet to look under the stove to explore.  This is minor, except it is free to move about during transit which might not be a good thing.  At any rate, a new stove shouldn't break in a few short months of use.  Someone needs to build more durable RV appliances, rather than cheaply made disposable ones, but that's not likely 😠

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

I think you probably have a little blade electrical connection for the piezo igniter. That needs to be lined up.

If you can use a flashlight and mirror to see if the gas tube and jet haven't moved, you're probably good to go.

The gas tube and jet are the only gas supplies. The alloy base and cap are useful,  but just sit around and on top of the jet.

As far as disposable, i looked around when my big burner gave me fits. The cooktop Oliver uses is (i think) smev, now owned by dometic, but still sturdy smev, and I would have ordered it if I couldn't fix mine. Probably the best available,  usa.

My old smev caps are screwed in, and make cleaning an issue. So, that's a tradeoff. If you travel bumpy roads frequently,  take the caps off before you close the lid, and put them in the top drawer til you need to use the burners. At least, that's what I would do.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I think you probably have a little blade electrical connection for the piezo igniter. That needs to be lined up.

If you can use a flashlight and mirror to see if the gas tube and jet haven't moved, you're probably good to go.

The gas tube and jet are the only gas supplies. The alloy base and cap are useful,  but just sit around and on top of the jet.

As far as disposable, i looked around when my big burner gave me fits. The cooktop Oliver uses is (i think) smev, now owned by dometic, but still sturdy smev, and I would have ordered it if I couldn't fix mine. Probably the best available,  usa.

My old smev caps are screwed in, and make cleaning an issue. So, that's a tradeoff. If you travel bumpy roads frequently,  take the caps off before you close the lid, and put them in the top drawer til you need to use the burners. At least, that's what I would do.

Thanks for the advice.

I think the caps are attached or, if not, the cap on the rear burner is stuck on tight.

Our home gas cooktop has similar base and cap, though the caps are cast iron.  The propane comes up in the middle of the base, like a Bunsen burner (ask me how I know!)

I do like the looks of the cooktop; the continuous cast iron grate is great (pun intended).  The stove itself is an improvement over the one that came installed in our Leisure Travel Van.  It had light separate grates over each burner.  They fit into the top in grommets that broke and were expensive to replace.  And, the stove was set into the counter with a black rubber (or some material) seal around the edges.  If you got a pan close to the seal, it melted!    One con I have found with the Oliver stove is that the writing on the control knobs comes off if you wash them with any kind of cleaner.  It sounds like Oliver has the best choice available.

Once I hear from Oliver, we will probably pull the cook top out and inspect to see if any repair is needed.

 

  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
15 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

home gas cooktop has similar base and cap, though the caps are cast iron.  The propane comes up in the middle of the base, like a Bunsen burner (ask me how I know!)

I have induction at-home, but from what I have read, these dometic/ smev cooktops are similar to home ranges.

 The gas jet technology was pretty much state if the art when we got our 2008. Tried, and true, now.

And. I  do have serious envy of your continuous grate. That'd really nice. My skinny wire 2008 grates work, but not "grate." Lol.

  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...