Replace AC and fan to lower height?

Gliddenwoods

I have a LE2 ordered for next September delivery. I store my current (NuCamp TAB 400 BD Lite, which is for sale.) trailer in my extra garage and intend to do the same with the Oliver; however my garage door is 4 inches too short. I have a construction plan in the works to lower the floor and install a taller door. This plan will work but will cost a couple dollars.

Recently I wondered whether a different approach would work? The different approach is to replace the Oliver installed AC and fan units with lower (4.5 inch+)  profile units.

Plan A will cost a fair amount so I do have a sizable budget for Plan B. 

I asked of the learned Oliver owners (some have already replaced both units) are the AC and fan units on the market that would lower the profile by 4.5 inches or more?

Thanks.

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

• 1 month later...

I’ve interest in utilizing a “mini-split” air conditioning unit rather than the factory installed roof unit: the compressor (outside) component to be mounted on the rear end of the Oliver. The mini splits are quieter and more efficient. There is perhaps a compelling reason that Oliver doesn’t offer this option: I’d be interested to hear what that might be. It’s true that the household mini-splits are not designed for the shake rattle and roll of a travel trailer, but I’d bet a weeks’ pay that they can handle it. 

• Moderators

I'd guess there are a couple compelling reasons.

The first I can think of is certification for rv use, to keep their rvia/Canadian certification. And, get warranty reimbursement? I haven't (yet) seen a unit designed specifically for rvs.

The second is where to put both the inside and outside units. The indoor units are pretty big, even the small ones.

We installed a small (mr cool diy) minisplit in our garage workshop a few years back, and we really enjoy it on hot days. Very quiet and efficient. I can see why you'd want one. I thought about it, too, years ago, but gave up.

There used to be a portable Canadian minisplit sold in the US that was really small. The indoor unit was about the size of a typical box fan. Originally,  it was designed so that the lines could be detached at each use, and reattached. I  think they had some issues with that. A few years ago, I bought one from Costco online, for my mom's Florida room, and then returned it after testing and finding the lines to be fixed, as getting it in and out with the fixed line to store out of season would be too difficult. I don't know if this could work in the bigger Ollie, or not. The only window in my trailer large enough to pass the indoor unit through would be my rear awning window, and then there would no good way to seal it, and not a really good spot for the lines and indoor air handler. There's a good video in the link below.

https://www.forestair.ca/en/serie-mini-anglais

Here's one of the many threads where ac alternatives have been discussed. There's a good discussion on minisplits as part of the thread.

If you find a good solution,  please post it here. There's been a lot if interest over the years. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.