Tired leaf spring fix ...

• Moderators

Well, after 70,000 miles on the Wonder Egg, I began to notice a bit of a list to the curbside whilst rolling across this beautiful country. Normally, I carry a full load of water as I start out, to give me the greatest flexibility. This has meant an extra 267 lbs right of centerline, not even counting the refrigerator, microwave, kitchen cabinetry and awning pushing down with extra force on the right suspension system. Measuring the lean on level ground, I found a 1 inch list to the starboard side. Last year, passing through Wyoming, I encountered a 35mph wind from the port side and an aggressively crowned road. Needless to say the Wonder Egg looked a bit like a drunken sailor looking for safe harbor.

Soooooooo, I'm having an extra leaf added to the right spring and the spring system is being re-arched to regain the spring tension it had lost. In addition, the 4 shock absorbers will be upgraded to support the true 3900 lb weight of the fully loaded trailer.

These mods should keep the Wonder Egg tracking true and level for the next 70,000 miles and beyond.

UPDATE: Aug 7, '13

Just picked up the Wonder Egg and noticed a much smoother ride over uneven road grades. The original shocks were all tired out. Not leaking, simply were extremely difficult to stretch out by hand, wanting to stay compressed. Over the last 5 years I never really noticed since it was such a gradual change. I always thought it pulled very nicely. Now it pulls very, very, very nicely thank you. :lol: AND with the additional leaf added to the curbside suspension she rides perfectly level with a load of water on board.

Life is Gooooooooooood!

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Hi Steve,

The shop ended up putting in the same type shocks; "Monroe Gas-Magnum RV". They are the best type for this application. My older ones were simply tired after 70,000 miles.

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg