Fridge fires, if you have an older hull you really need to pull out that fridge now.

RV Absorption Refrigerator Fires.pdfRV Absorption Refrigerator Fires.pdfRV Absorption Refrigerator Fires.pdf

I recently pulled out my 3 way Dometic from Hull 218 and found this:

image.thumb.jpeg.e671756434cd303133e84dcbbb102ee2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fb0f3eed97697be9cb3b703c81fc78f8.jpeg

That spot is right at the upper exit of the burner flue. Not good at all! I am going to install an Isotherm 130 DC/ AC fridge, the same unit Oliver is currently using, but it appears to be lost in shipping.

Related thread: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/8816-removed-my-dometic-fridge-a-couple-of-concerns/#comment-86140

FYI it is so EXTREMELY difficult to remove and then reinstall these in the older Hulls with their tiny outside vent openings, that you should just plan on doing the conversion. Also, I was informed that the reason Oliver started using the Isotherms as standard equipment is that the supply of 3 way fridges THIS SIZE has dried up.

image.thumb.jpeg.3ff79bb7bbce3e4a2c11221b6342c86c.jpeg

Dometic "requires" that they be completely inspected and tested ANNUALLY, which just isn't going to happen in an old Ollie. You simply cannot see the parts in situ. Mine has six short camping seasons of wear.

FYI here are some pics of my old fridge:

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0267.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • The title was changed to Fridge fires, if you have an older hull you really need to pull out that fridge now.
2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

RV Absorption Refrigerator Fires.pdfRV Absorption Refrigerator Fires.pdfRV Absorption Refrigerator Fires.pdf 493.34 kB · 2 downloads

I recently pulled out my 3 way Dometic from Hull 218 and found this:

image.thumb.jpeg.e671756434cd303133e84dcbbb102ee2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fb0f3eed97697be9cb3b703c81fc78f8.jpeg

That spot is right at the upper exit of the burner flue. Not good at all! I am going to install an Isotherm 130 DC/ AC fridge, the same unit Oliver is currently using, but it appears to be lost in shipping.

Related thread: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/8816-removed-my-dometic-fridge-a-couple-of-concerns/#comment-86140

FYI it is so EXTREMELY difficult to remove and then reinstall these in the older Hulls with their tiny outside vent openings, that you should just plan on doing the conversion. Also, I was informed that the reason Oliver started using the Isotherms as standard equipment is that the supply of 3 way fridges THIS SIZE has dried up.

image.thumb.jpeg.3ff79bb7bbce3e4a2c11221b6342c86c.jpeg

Dometic "requires" that they be completely inspected and tested ANNUALLY, which just isn't going to happen in an old Ollie. You simply cannot see the parts in situ. Mine has six short camping seasons of wear.

FYI here are some pics of my old fridge:

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0267.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg

@John E Davies  That is a great article and the authors have some really good credentials.  I did not like the absorption fridge in our Airstream. It was “ok” at keeping things cold once it did get cold but it needed to be defrosted often. I didn’t like running on propane while traveling but also didn’t want things to get too warm. For that reason, I always ran with GAS STOP devices and will have them on my LE II. 

I was happy to see Oliver went with the Isotherm AC/DC fridge. I am not sure as to “why” but I heard it was because many trailers in the industry are moving to all-electric compressor style fridges. This could account for a low supply of the absorption fridges in this size.  I also like that if you are not level when parked we don’t have to worry about damaging the fridge.

I think you made a good choice. My brother-in-law has had Isotherm on his boats for as long as I can remember and they always perform.

Another great share, thank you!

Brian

• Like 5