Propane Oder

John Dorrer

Just our tanks filled. A couple hours after re-installing the tanks, I smelled propane. I got my sniffer out and it went off on both tanks indicating a high presence of propane.

On the back side of the tank, just below the knob is what looks like a pressure relief. There is a red cap. It is hissing, there are bubbles, and condensation at this area. This is where I tested with my sniffer. I checked the connections to the hose and the top of the tank and the sniffer didn't go off. It is around 90°. 

Is this just full tanks off gassing, or do I have an issue. Thanks.

PXL_20230630_183022935~2.jpg

PXL_20230630_183025915~2.jpg

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

Someone overfilled your tanks. When they heated up, the pressure relief valves opened, venting propane. I'd get them filled somewhere else next time. 

Propane is heavier than air. The propane you're venting will flow downhill. If there's a lot of it, this could pose a hazard if it finds an ignition source. If you do have a lot venting, you can try cooling the tanks with water.

Odd this happened to you. I recently had a propane place overfill one of my tanks, too. That's not supposed to happen. The tank's built in Overfill Protection Device should not allow a tank to be overfilled.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

The relief stopped bubbling and hissing. I also turned the set screw and allowed some propane out 2-3 seconds. Turned a tank on and lite both stove burners. All seems to be good.

• Like 6

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg