Houghton AC temperature accuracy

C&MCurrie

For those who have installed a Houghton ac, do you feel the temperature setting is accurate?  I set mine at 72 degrees and compared the interior temp against the readings of 2 Sensorpush devices and find that they both read approximately 76 degrees after the ac shuts off. FWIW, I have the 9500 Houghton and relocated the temp sensor so that it extends into the interior of cabin. 

2021 Legacy Elite I , Hull #765

2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0 Diesel 

Navarre, Fl

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

No - the temp setting is not very accurate for me either - I have the 9500 Houghton with a Sensorpush in the cabin and it definitely shuts off the compressor and starts cycling about 2-3 degrees above the set temp on the Houghton.  I pretty much just ignore the temp setting on the Houghton and use the Sensorpush and/or my skin to guide my Houghton adjustments.  The Houghton does continue to slowly cool the cabin while cycling until it's pretty close to the set temp, but it takes hours to reach the setting (if it ever does) depending on the outside temp, etc.  I often just set the Houghton on 60F and let it blast away until it reaches the temp I want and then I'll back it off and let it cycle and tweak it from there.  Overall, no big deal for me - I've learned the nuances and I love the Houghton.

I've still got my thermostat in the default place up in the plenum.  I've been thinking of extending it into the cabin but it seems it may not be helping with the temperature differential at least.  Do you feel it cycles less or about the same with the thermostat extended into the cabin?

• Like 1

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

Good to know I’m not the only one. I do think moving the temperature probe helped with the cycling. Yesterday I installed a relay which shuts off the interior fan when compressor shuts off. So far in testing, it doesn’t cycle nearly as much. I’m also hoping this will address the humidity issue we have at night. The consensus on the Houghton unit regarding humidity is that the interior fan never shuts off, thus reintroducing humidity back into the cabin. Can’t wait for next trip to try it out. 

• Like 3

2021 Legacy Elite I , Hull #765

2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0 Diesel 

Navarre, Fl