Removing the Seat Rail

GeoffChapman

In my tweaks to my 2021 LE1, I’ve removed the rail between the front dinette seat and the rear seat/bed. This has given us much appreciated added headroom in the double bed for whoever sleeps closest to the bathroom.

The rails came out of their base brackets with a little wiggling and stretching, but the brackets won’t come out. I removed the nuts from the lowest bracket easily enough, and expected the base brackets to come right off. They don’t budge, and I am reticent to force them. 

Are they glued?  Any ideas how to get them off without doing violence to the fiberglass?

I can live with them if need be. 

Geoff

IMG_5398.thumb.jpeg.88e69097ddc46c573c63c0a55c4cbc51.jpeg

Geoff and Becca Chapman * Pittsburgh 

Legacy Elite 1 Hull #731 * TV GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderator+
22 minutes ago, GeoffChapman said:

In my tweaks to my 2021 LE1, I’ve removed the rail between the front dinette seat and the rear seat/bed. This has given us much appreciated added headroom in the double bed for whoever sleeps closest to the bathroom.

The rails came out of their base brackets with a little wiggling and stretching, but the brackets won’t come out. I removed the nuts from the lowest bracket easily enough, and expected the base brackets to come right off. They don’t budge, and I am reticent to force them. 

Are they glued?  Any ideas how to get them off without doing violence to the fiberglass?

I can live with them if need be. 

Geoff

IMG_5398.thumb.jpeg.88e69097ddc46c573c63c0a55c4cbc51.jpeg

Those screws are backed up by nuts? The only thing I would guess would be glue in addition. I don't think they would have needed screws and glue. Additionally I can't see any way to place the two upper brackets unless it was done pre-assembly and I don't think they would have done it that way.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I got the front one out. I used a hammer drill to screw the bolts out (I couldn't budge them by hand). One seemed glued and two came out easily. I took a spackling knife and lightly tapped around the edges flat against the fiberglass, hoping to pop it off. It did come off, but with a little fiberglass damage - from some glue that was used?  See the photos. 

I can put it back easily enough, but if the wall mounts are installed the same way (with bolts and nuts), I'd never get them back into place if I even managed to get the bolts out. I think I'll leave them alone. 

I noticed on the LE1 that is available in current inventory (Hull 1385 here) that the 10th picture shows that LE1 without the rail.  I wonder if the mounts are there, but below the cushions? Or if they can leave the rail off at buyer's request. I'd be extra interested to know if it is bare fiberglass (no rail mounts) if they would offer to install a rail - and how they would do that!?!

Geoff

IMG_5401.thumb.jpg.d66f7fbc2d8c5fb624d3c7a3ade9ae9d.jpgIMG_5400.thumb.jpg.f17c00ad7677d885b63deb561e327b29.jpg

• Moderators

Too late now, but heat may have helped. Could have been epoxy, could have been a 3m product.

You can "seal" that raw opening area  with gelcoat (Ask over for the color number), or just use marine tex. It won't be a super close match, but it's under cushions anyway. Get the bright white if you go marine tex route. Use saran wrap to cover after application. Look up some youtubes. Lots of good ones out there.

At the very least, cover with an adhesive patch, or even white duct tape, to keep moisture out, and save friction on the cushions. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

5 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

You can "seal" that raw opening area  with gelcoat (Ask over for the color number), or just use marine tex. It won't be a super close match, but it's under cushions anyway. Get the bright white if you go marine tex route. Use saran wrap to cover after application. Look up some yourubes. Lots of good ones out there.

I think I saw your recommendation of Marine Tex in another post, watched a good video and got myself a tube - to fill the holes of my previous camera mount.  Will use it here also since it’s hidden. Thanks for the details. 
Hadn’t even thought of heat! 
Geoff

• Moderators

Do use the saran wrap. It will smooth the edges. That's all you are really needing in a hidden locations. 

Best of luck.

We love our Eite I , 2008. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.