Rear Brake Light replacement

While attempting to replace the Back Upper Right LED Brake Light, I was informed by Mike Sharp that the original LEDs installed in my 2021 E-2 (Hull #883) that the original vendor was no longer being used.

Mike directed me to the Optronics company who now make the same light so I ordered a new one.

once it arrived, I noticed the new light is the same size but the black bezel that has the 4 screw holes is NOT the same nor does it accommodate the plastic Chrome veneer that snaps on the light.

I ALSO realized that Oliver simply drills the 4 screws into the fiberglass hull instead of a bracket or steel repository.  This is not a good practice since the space curves while the light fixture doesn’t.  So, as a result, the outside screw hole has complete stripped out the fiberglass.

question:  Has anyone installed any sort of permanent steel bracket/female receiver into their unit as a modification in order to avoid any future stripping out of the screw threads?  If so, please share…

• Wow 1

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Can you send some pix of your challenging issue - it's not quite clear what the fix might be without more information/photo to ponder.

Thanks!

Art

• Like 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 9:31 AM, Marce said:

I ALSO realized that Oliver simply drills the 4 screws into the fiberglass hull instead of a bracket or steel repository.  This is not a good practice...

Yes agreed, and yes pics would be appreciated! I haven't yet touched any exterior lighting. It kills me to see 3-4 screws into the fiberglass to mount something that weighs just ounces!

I'm thinking, fill the holes with an epoxy or whatever plays well with fiberglass (to which I have no idea). These trim pieces can simply be mounted with a circle of 3M VHB tape, no holes in the fiberglass required, except for an 1/8" hole for the wiring.

OTT should redesign the exterior thinking minimal fiberglass intrusion. Believe it or not, your antennas, solar panels and evening your awning can be mounted to the surface without drilling screw holes. Adhesives today are stronger than screws into fiberglass, certainly.

Edited by jd1923
Added last paragraph
  • Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!