Renogy 400W Suitcase Victron MPPT with Custom Solar Port Installation

jd1923

Now that we upgraded to 600AH Epoch LiFePo4 and 3KVA Victron MP2 Inverter/Charger, it was time to add solar power in addition to the OTT installed rooftop panels. This Amazon link offered "Amazon Used" which I love since it usually is only damaged packaging.  I watched it for 2-3 weeks and grabbed one when "Very Good" condition was offered for $525. Mine did have a small scuff on the handles which stick out flush to the foam packaging, NP for the cost.

Amazon.com: Renogy 400W Lightweight Portable Solar Suitcase, Foldable Solar Panel for Outdoor Activities, Durable & IP67 Waterproof for RV, Camping, Off-Grid, Fast Installation with Sturdy Kickstands : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

Installed a Victron MPPT 100/30 where the OEM inverter was previously under the rear dinette seat. This solar charger is capable of running two of these 400W suitcases since open-circuit voltage is rate at 47.2 V and short-circuit current is 11.0A, more than enough.

Victron MPPT Installed.jpg

• Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

When hull 113 was built there was no Zamp port installed (glad for that). I read several threads on Zamp issues and replacing it. Then I realized I didn't want to drill that size hole on the side of our hull. I suddenly came to the idea of using the rear cable TV connection. We will never connect to RV park cable, and the rear is truly the best location so the suitcase can be easily positioned either side.

I first purchased a CNLINKO plug connector. They are extremely well-built, but first it would be difficult to drill a 1/2" hole to 15/16". And the body mount was so shallow it would be impossible to effectively insulate the terminals in this location. I came up with the idea of a pigtail-style terminal made with Anderson SB50 10 AWG connectors.

I found Powerwerx and they sell these amazing "Environmental Boots." They even make custom length cables with choice of connectors on each side. I preferred to make my own cables. This is everything I purchased for $29 shipped (ordered two of the SB50 connectors for 10 AWG): Anderson Power Products SB50 SB Series 50 Amp Connector Kit | Powerwerx
SB50 Environmental Boot with Cover, Source Side | Powerwerx
SB50 Environmental Boot with Cover, Load Side | Powerwerx

This is the bodyside connector. I used heat shrink tubing on each wire, then on both. Then I fed the wires through a length of clear tubing I had with 1/2" OD, a snug fit inserted 4-5" into the hull. Wrapped the exterior side with larger heat shrink to wrap everything. To keep it still, I used a 1/4-20 3" bolt, mounted in-between the two tails of the boot, and tap-threaded a hole to secure it to the bumper. She is sitting pretty for now and will soon work the fiberglass repair to fill in the 4 unsightly screw holes.

Anderson SB50 Oliver Install.jpg

• Like 2

I purchased 10 AWG THWN wire at Lowes, on clearance for $0.23/ft, nice! Yes, do note the economic theme behind much of my modification work (I promise not to get political re the economy, but it stinks)! 🤣

Had a lot of 1/2" split wire loom from a past project, the same kind OTT uses. It was an easy run the along the bottom of the basement to feed wires up to the dinette. 10 AWG wires in loom go all the way from the rear opening to the MPPT charger. Used the exact same wire and loom to make a 33 FT exterior cable, crimped MC4 connectors on one end with a Renogy 15A fuse on the positive lead, and the mating Anderson plug on the other end.

Solar Cable.jpg

• Like 2

It's been partially to mostly cloudy for the last 3-4 days which will happen in our Monsoon Season. I was able to get a good reading at 366W at one point when the sun was strong. You can see total charging current at 38.7A with 26.1A from the suitcase, leaving 12.6A from the Blue Sky MPPT rooftop solar.

When it's cloudy here, it's cooler too. I've been able to run the old Dometic P2 all day for two days now, no shore power, thermostat set at 82F though I will kick it down 76F while I'm inside. It's been low-mid 80s during the day, but keep in mind the Oliver is sitting in the sun and the sun is strong when the clouds do roll by (and more solar charging). SOC has ranged from 85% as you see at 11:45 AM and would get down to low 60s, one day lowest was 55% late afternoon.

This should work great when I replace the old P2 with an efficient A/C model requiring half the amperage for when it is truly hot outside. Another great mod for old hull # 113! 😂

image.png.de2ff4ed1a345a56d053666f04314147.png

Renogy 400W Suitcase.jpg

Anderson SB50 Connected.jpg

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I found Powerwerx and they sell these amazing "Environmental Boots."

Indeed, used them for my DC-DC install three years ago at the TV rear bumper connection. Not only a great waterproof connection when underway in inclement weather, but dust proof, as well!

All things Anderson:

IMG_2065.thumb.jpeg.e3e0bf08b7e4258086405e838f83d7b3.jpeg

IMG_1337.thumb.jpeg.b810b709c3bc36e9aab70f3ef4f6b362.jpeg

In similar manner, made an extension to utilize the rear bumper port to power my Dometic fridge/freezer staged under cap in the TV bed, as needed.

IMG_4466.thumb.jpeg.b5360c3e7ca9f3068485d95614d272e5.jpeg

Anderson conversion to either run my VIAIR from the rear bumper or TV battery.

IMG_4949.thumb.jpeg.cd3e7b61c7eda3497ea66a8f68190dd5.jpeg

Anderson conversion with my portable power station (staged to run the aforementioned Dometic) to easily charge, as necessary, when the TV mounted solar array input is dismal. I simply run an extension cord from the front outlet at the propane housing to power the charger via the Oliver’s inverter.

IMG_5332.thumb.jpeg.a0a5f703122e51dcc87c38879daeda0c.jpeg

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables, auxiliary Cerbo-S GX/Victron 30A Blue Smart IP22 Charger combo, Dreiha Atmos 4.4 a/c upgrade.

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

A.R.E. truck bed cover/BedRug bed liner, 200W solar array/Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and 100Ah potable power station, Rancho QuickLIFT front suspension strut/coil spring upgrade, Advanced Technology vented/slotted disc brake rotor upgrade, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension/wireless remote controller, Mechman 320A High Output alternator/upsize cables.

3 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

Indeed, used them for my DC-DC install...

I've got the DC-DC install still on my list. Will use Anderson connectors for 4 AWG cable and likely a similar "pigtail" design mounted on the hitch where the 7-blade trailer connector is located. Thanks Ron! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Here's a close-up view of the Anderson SB50 connectors and environmental boots from Powerwerx. BTW, not easy to crimp these HD 10 AWG crimp terminals. My pneumatic crimper only goes as small as 6 AWG. I used a hand crimper with an extra-large channel lock on the crimper handles for extra leverage!

Powerwerx.jpg

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 2

@jd1923 The Renogy 400W portable solar panel will likely be my next want, but for now pending installation of the Atmos 4.4 is forefront; one mod at a time!

• Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables, auxiliary Cerbo-S GX/Victron 30A Blue Smart IP22 Charger combo, Dreiha Atmos 4.4 a/c upgrade.

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

A.R.E. truck bed cover/BedRug bed liner, 200W solar array/Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and 100Ah potable power station, Rancho QuickLIFT front suspension strut/coil spring upgrade, Advanced Technology vented/slotted disc brake rotor upgrade, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension/wireless remote controller, Mechman 320A High Output alternator/upsize cables.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2024 at 9:40 AM, Ronbrink said:

the TV mounted solar array

I’m contemplating doing that. Can you describe your installation?

Mike & Ann

• 2021 Tundra DC SR5, Improved Racing MHX-514 transmission cooler
  • 2023 LE II - Hull #1420 - "Hank the Tank", Truma A/C, Furnace and WH package, AGM/solar

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the last task of this project, the fiberglass repair. This product worked well. It's slightly whiter than our yellowing hull. I also patched inside the hull where I had removed the original rear curbside TV mount. The color difference inside is hard to notice if any. I'm not the finish polisher guy, 320 grit sandpaper is the lightest I have. This is fine due to the location (see picture above prior to fill). I'll get it detailed further whenever I get to refinishing the hull.

Rear Fiberglass Patch.jpg

Marine-Tex.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1