Google translate on your phone, offline

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Personally, I've had a few emergencies in places where the major language isn't English, Spanish, or other languages I have studied. Like our blowout in French speaking rural Quebec.

We're getting ready for a long trip, and most of our friends traveling with us  only speak English. I was so happy to find that Google translate now works offline. I tested it in a couple languages that I read, and it's decent.

I'm helping all our friends traveling with us download it, free, and set their phones up to use it. Without data or wifi. Speech to text, or text to text.. Also, I can hold my android phone over a document, and I see an immediate approximate translation.

This can be a huge help, when you have no wifi, and don't know the local language.

If you are thinking about traveling to French speaking provinces, or Mexico, and don't speak the language I would definitely look at it.

And, did I mention, it's a free app?

Sherry

• Thanks 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators

Amy, you need to download the language(s) you wish to translate before you can use Google translate offline.

Not all functions work. You can, however, use the camera mode to translate a printed page, or type text to translate. I've found it very helpful.Screenshot_20210622-150940_Translate.thumb.jpg.0aaab3f059ea5a78e5afe4ec1a635921.jpg

20210622_150851.jpg

20210622_152044.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.