Do the solar panels tilt?

John E Davies

John, the mounting system is still basically the same as is shown in your old photo. The panels will still tilt in either direction just as is shown (albeit, perhaps not to the same degree of angle as could be achieved with that setup.) Don’t worry, if you desire to get up there and tilt them, they will have the ability to do so. Since Oliver does not include any provision for holding them up, you will have to fab up some kind of support struts. When you see the way it is all mounted you’ll see how easy this will be. During our build back in late 2013, I designed the way our panels are mounted in anticipation of tilting them easily. I really believe that the reason that you’ve never seen a camping photo with them tilted is that they works so well in the flat position that nobody has ever found the energy to get up there and tilt them. I know I haven’t and you may find it to be the same. They are still mounting them in the same manner as mine.

Thank you, that was most helpful! I doubt that I would tilt them unless I were staying in one spot for a long time, or if there simply wasn't enough day-long exposure.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Fwiw, our sidemounted panels came with six inch bits to hold the panels, back on 2008. If these are no longer available, I could send you a photo. They'd be easy to fashion from flat stock

We have adjusted ours, but rarely. Usually just not worth the effort. The batteries can only hold so much. If we're in the sun, a few hours midday usually brings the charge back up. If we have to camp out of sun, or it rains for days on end, the Honda 1000 takes over. rare occasions.

BTW, we live on solar power at home, as well as on the road. Panels are primarily self cleaning. A little bit bit of rain, even this year in very dry conditions for FL, keeps us going.

If no rain, a quick hose will bring your trailer panels back to optimum. We've never been tempted to climb on the high house roof to hose them off. We let the rain do the work.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Fwiw, our sidemounted panels came with six inch bits to hold the panels, back on 2008. If these are no longer available, I could send you a photo. They’d be easy to fashion from flat stock

Sherry, thanks. Please just post a pic here in this thread, with dimensions, if not obvious.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.