How often should you check the pressure in the spare tire?

OK, this assumes that you a actually check it periodically.... how often? .... which is a minor PITA since you have to remove both the cover and and the tire to do so.

Does anybody have a TPMS sender on their spare? .... I purchased an extra sender, I may just leave it installed on the spare so I can monitor the pressure remotely, and if one of the others fails I can switch the bad one with the one in back....

I have used this on several other vehicles with mixed success:

https://www.amazon.com/Accu-gage-Chek-Spare-Valve-Extender/dp/B0006O2S8M

One developed a leak at a crimped connection and the tire went completely flat. And you still have to remember to actually check with a gauge.

Comments?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I check mine before every trip, even though the pressure has always been spot on. It is a bit of a pain, but not as much as having a flat spare!

Problem with leaving a TPMS sensor on the tire is that its battery will run out faster as the sensor is always transmitting as long as it is pressurized. Mine shut off when I remove them in between trips. The extension hose you linked to could work, but I would wrap it with split loom or the like to give it extra protection from abrasion, and wear and tear.

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

Problem with leaving a TPMS sensor on the tire is that its battery will run out faster as the sensor is always transmitting as long as it is pressurized. Mine shut off when I remove them in between tripS.

Hmm, my system is a Tire Traker and the sensors have replaceable button cells good for one year, and they go to sleep after fifteen minutes of no motion. The monitor shows the last values when you start to drive off, then it quickly updates with the current pressures and temps. Or you can just flip each one with a finger as you do your walk around and that wakes them up immediately...

What brand is yours? Do you have them marked so you can get them back to the correct position?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

I have the EezTire T515 system. You have me thinking about the sensor auto shut off. I was pretty sure it is pressure activated, but maybe it is no motion activated. The monitor itself has a sleep mode if it detects no motion. I'll have to call and find out about the sensors, it would be good to confirm. And yes, each sensor is individually marked and lives only on its own particular wheel. They also use replaceable button batteries (CR1632) rated from 3 to 4 years of life. We'll' see about that, I've had the system for one year now.

Dave

• Thanks 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter