HOW TO: closet tie down rings

John E Davies

Please refer to this thread for info about the Macs tie downs used here. I ordered extras when I did that mod.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-wire-cable-clothes-line-full-cabin-length/

I carry a telescoping ladder and two folding camp chairs in the closet, and they flop around on rough roads and make it harder to access stuff on the floor.

IMG_6878.thumb.jpg.4eb601367c254f97e166f1452fbbf694.jpg

The outer one sits on a curved surface, and there is not much space between the inner and outer walls. I cut off some #12 screws and used 3M VHB tape in the center to help fill the gap and to add some strength.

IMG_6877.thumb.jpg.6f15fda4288e462e60ce1aa42570d365.jpg

IMG_6882.thumb.jpg.be045364eb6bf06a751e768b704c2d89.jpg

The upper base sits on the inside closet wall, and I had a small inspection port there, so I mounted the base where I could reach in and feed the threaded backing plate into the correct position. There are water hoses RIGHT THERE, so you need to be careful if you use sheet metal screws. Don't drill through a hose!

IMG_6881.thumb.jpg.d148677893d2b652e67c0913ed823ea6.jpg

I used a 3 ft bungee cord doubled back on itself and secured the bottom part with a nylon tie wrap to keep it in place when disconnected at the top. It is a very secure restraint, but it doesn't put too much strain on the attach points.

IMG_6880.thumb.jpg.9c3ecdb4938ae308f3cac10b93be1f75.jpg

With my two large bins in place, there is a little more usable floor space since the chairs and ladder are now held tight against the front wall:

IMG_6883.thumb.jpg.72aabc97825b7f645a0f126c1a310453.jpg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Two questions.

The first is, did you install the port hole access for sink and faucet maintenance?  The second concerns the tie down mounts.  Did you use through bolts and backing plates on any of the mounts for the closet or clothesline anchors or just the VHB tape and surface screws?

Nice job?

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Just saw your additional posts on the clothesline mod concerning the mount procedure.  Please ignore my question about the mounting hardware as you have already answered it.

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Two questions.

The first is, did you install the port hole access for sink and faucet maintenance? The second concerns the tie down mounts. Did you use through bolts and backing plates on any of the mounts for the closet or clothesline anchors or just the VHB tape and surface screws?

Nice job?

The port was done by the factory. I wish they had used a full sized opening instead of this smaller one, and had positioned it further back. It is too hard to reach through to do any maintence, I check inside every now and then for a quick look at the faucet connections.

Thanks for the kind comment.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.