Gas vs diesel, pros and cons

John E Davies

This is from the viewpoint of having enough payload for a heavy truck camper, but other than that, everything is completely valid.
https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/diesel-vs-gas-for-truck-camper-rigs-which-is-better/

The reader comments are also interesting.

One thing about a (big) turbo diesel engine that not many consider, is that they are so very relaxing to the passengers on a long road trip. Especially when encountering stiff headwinds and steep grades. No worries Mate.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Interesting JD, although I would quibble with a few of  their viewpoints. 

Based upon my experience given the cost of DEF, regular fuel filter changes (10k) , oil and filter changes (7.5k), I would give  the gas burners a much larger advantage in the maintenance and cost to run category. Given the cost dif on fuel - I'd take gas here. ( and I generally change my own) 

NVH - in the 3/4 ton area, My 18 GMC is pretty sweet, the gas burner was no better, if  not nearly as good. Note - the fords I drove during my selection process were noticeably rougher on the road - unloaded. I had a 2007 GMC 2500 - it road like a rigid frame chopper - until you put 500 lbs. in the bed, then it was just rough. 

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

One thing about a (big) turbo diesel engine that not many consider, is that they are so very relaxing to the passengers on a long road trip. Especially when encountering stiff headwinds and steep grades. No worries Mate.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Per JD - Now here is THE difference, no question. It is the difference maker for me. (us)  

The power and torque difference is so easy to like, the ride is fine, parking in small lots - harder but not that bad. Other than initial purchase price - its an easy choice. Regardless of manufacturer, the diesel is about $10k more - that's a steep step up in overall cost.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201