-
Posts
1,249 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
33
Everything posted by BackofBeyond
-
It has been a few, perhaps 3, decades since I have stayed in the park, but I know the rates were not something I thought about. It was not a full service rv spot so maybe that is why. We were tenting then, and thus it was just a simple site. We ended up with a really good bear story. $125 just seems wrong, but I guess the sites are fab, and the demand strong.
-
I saw that mentioned in another post. Seems I will need to schedule time to drive down to see this new Oliver. Lower price - seems counter to today's world. If I were to design a small Ollie, based upon my owner experience, I doubt it would be cheaper.
-
Thanks - we did a lot of boondocking, and don't have a problem getting there, gravel, dirt, or whatever. Good point on the class b, 100 grand for a lot less capability. We usually carried extra 10 gal of h2o and had the composting toilet - still undecide on this going forward. The shoulder seasons will be targeted this time around, now that "work" is behind us.
-
It has been a long time since I have been on the forum. We had 359, 2018, and went a lot of places, really enjoyed the experience but other life choices got in the way, and we let it go to some good folks that were sure to enjoy it. One of the key reasons for selling was the crowds that seemed to be everywhere we went. A few questions for the forum - has the crowding subsided at all, and Wow, the prices now - seems $100k is the entry price for a II, - do the newer owners feel the value is still there from a quality and feature standpoint. I'm really liking most of the changes - and am actually looking at the smaller Elite - but not sure the price differential is worth the downsizing Thanks for any feedback..
-
Florida, rear view!
-
Run, bureaucrats everywhere.
-
the buffet line
-
Brake drum temps mystery
BackofBeyond replied to Steph and Dud B's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
I used to experience similar differences, usually it was on the sunny side. I just stopped worrying about it unless it got really hot. As has been stated, I checked the free wheel spin once a year (tire rotation or grease) and no issues. Sometimes we worry about nothing. Verify then enjoy. -
Best Replacement for Lifeline gpl-4ct agm battery
BackofBeyond replied to roguebooks's topic in Mechanical & Technical Tips
It sounds like you don't plan to keep the Oliver more than another 4-5 years. Were it me, I'd go simple - buy the best replacement AGM's - and keep going. The Lifelines are good units. Good Luck. RB -
In my experience with anything Dometic - they need competition. Would be my last choice in all cases. But perhaps they have upped their game, I doubt it. RB
-
Boy Scouts = Hike in, Tents, camping over open fire. California mtns. Long time ago.
-
Towing with vehicles that really don't do the job safely
BackofBeyond replied to Trainman's topic in Towing an Oliver
All this talk about TV makes me wanna drink . -
Another Andersen WDH idea
BackofBeyond replied to Nick and Linda Stratigakis's topic in Ollie Modifications
In my jaded opinion - the best mod is to not need the Anderson - but- as has been stated - just backing of the nut worked fine- with less hassle. I am always amazed at the improvements Oliver owners engineer and develop. Good job folks. RB -
Roadlotus, (great name!) First, I'm sorry for your loss. As there are many threads on TV selections - my comments are towards the used preowned car market. While I am not familiar with your area, in general - across the nation pre-owned vehicles are fetching insane prices - in some instances near the price of a new vehicle. For my money, I would not rule out new - if one is available. Not many if any in my area. You say your downsizing to a TT - is that a full time -tour around, or are you going to stay put in a smaller circle of location? I think that makes a difference in your TV choice. If you intend to travel - payload and towing are really important. As for fitting in the garage - your leaving that phase, I would not worry here. The Rivan is a very risky choice - in my opinion- unproven manufacturer, unproven promised performance, and traveling around would be a pain looking for charging all the time. But - that's just my take. Diesel is the way to - but fuel prices are up, but then what isn't. A stout, well equipped 1/2 ton has proven to be a good choice for many - and the WDH certainly helps here - although I hated using mine - so I went to 2500 GMC. At $31K I don't think there will be much worth the asking price - but you have time to be selective. I wish you well in your search. RB
-
I put many a mile in our Sprinter - other than glow plugs that seemed to need attention every 20K miles it was a fantastic vehicle. I towed a tandem axel trailer loaded down with dirt bikes several times with no issues. I would think an Elite would not be an issue. The Oliver tows very well, and the Sprinter diesel was very good in the torque department, as JD advised try towing with yours and make a determination. I do miss our Sprinter. RB
-
Can’t get help. Electrical/voltage problem.
BackofBeyond replied to Katjo's topic in General Discussion
Glad you are back in business. Those ground connections can wreak havoc sometimes. RB -
Trip Report: 10 nights boondocking. Success!
BackofBeyond replied to VBistro's topic in Ollie Boondocking
My experience at altitude was similar - the furnace didn't like it. Above 7k and it had trouble with ignition. Seems to be a hit or miss problem. Our companion Oliver seemed just fine.... Glad you're having fun. RB -
Can’t get help. Electrical/voltage problem.
BackofBeyond replied to Katjo's topic in General Discussion
It is frustrating to experience what you are going through, especially when help seems beyond reach. So let me try from a distance -: Troubleshooting electrical problems requires systematic testing of the system, with test tools - don't rely on the EMS, or any other component - Until you have proven they are functioning as designed. My first guess is you have grounding problem, next would be something in the EMS system, then the Xantrex. First thing - find every grounding connection - take each apart (or verify the connection is sound) and retighten to the correct torque. Does Oliver have a schematic available? Were it me - I would verify the system voltage - disconnect the batteries and solar - check voltage at the connection where it enters the system - put it under a load - without a load you may not discover the problem. Then work your way step by step into the system. I understand this is probably outside your expertise. I will repeat - the voltage will probably read fine - until put under load. Unless it is in the componentry - but if it reads fine going in, but doesn't come out fine, you may have found the problem, replace and test - you could have multiple issues - but I doubt it. If the RV service centers are backed up until ----- find a tech on break, at a bar - wherever, explain the issue, discover their expertise on electrical, if none, ask them for names/contacts and offer him/her double triple normal wages. Good luck, but with the current demand among skilled labor - finding anyone is tough - and most business are so busy they just don't have the time/concern to deal with customers as they once did. My money is on the simple solution - a bad connection somewhere. RB - former Oliver owner, I wish you well. -
My experience - - one awning is plenty. The wind plays havoc on them - two is double trouble. RB
-
Towing Report: 2022 Subaru Limited + 2022 Elite I
BackofBeyond replied to DunnYet's topic in Towing an Oliver
Nice write up. Seems your set up fits well with smaller Elite. I share the concern over braking - I would give the system a good test - just to ensure the worst case is manageable. Towing at 70 with a larger vehicle is much different than with a car based platform. Good travels RB -
Ford Ranger XLT - any owner use this vehicle?
BackofBeyond replied to VFI Vacations's topic in Towing an Oliver
Not more than once- -
Finally! My Batteries and Inverter Now Run My AC!
BackofBeyond replied to Spike's topic in Ollie Modifications
Good Job -
Wonder why Oliver didn’t post this on the Forum?
BackofBeyond replied to Townesw's topic in General Discussion
To piggyback off of Seadawg - as a former EII owner - The E I was very appealing, I thought the EII was more than I needed, And the EI would be more to my needs. If I was to guess - improved battery/Solar, better AC, fridge, and perhaps propane/h2O systems. For me I would like to see improved Off road capability - better chassis clearance. Look forward to the future. Price Up up up... RB -
Just In : "We have decided it is time to redesign and improve our single-axle Legacy Elite travel trailer. We have suspended production and taking orders on the 2023 Legacy Elite while our engineering team finalizes the redesign process. We currently do not have an ETA when we will take orders on the redesigned Legacy Elite. We will be fulfilling all 2022 orders that are awaiting production. Please call or contact us for additional information." From a post on Oliver owners FB page. Very interesting - RB
