Cooking with Grandma's Cast Iron: Part 1

JWalmsley

• Administrators

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0

I found Grandma’s Dutch Oven in storage all rusted up, now what?

Every time you saw it while in storage, it put a smile on your face as you remembered those delicious treats that Grandma’ surprised everyone with, when you were a kid. Then after that smile, the next thought was, “it looks rustier every time I see it, I sure need to do something with it”. But, just what, you might think.

Most of us have helped with and been around Dutch oven cooking off and on for years, but looking at a rusty Dutch oven can leave us scratching our heads, about just what needs to be done next. Here is a quick video we took during our last boondocking fishing trip that addresses cleaning, seasoning and putting cast iron back in service.

In this case we used a little cooking oil and fine rock salt to work out the surface rust and restore the finish. Pre-heating the cast Iron is important in that it opens the pores of the utensil. You may note at the end of the video how the Dutch oven and lid have started to get a polished oil look to it. In this video where Goga is scouring the oven with a brush, you can see that the neatly kept campfire of Opa Ohoyo and Goga uses both wood and charcoal briquette’s and is just a pretty tidy setup. Some folks prefer that the outside of their oven is not scoured but is instead, left in it’s natural campfire smoked condition and that is the case here. . This particular oven does not have the cast Iron legs on the bottom and it must be used with a campfire grille as it is in the video.

Share and Enjoy !

0Shares
0 0

The post Cooking with Grandma's Cast Iron: Part 1 appeared first on Oliver Travel Trailers.

Read the Full Article

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules