Tundra 5.7 Magnuson Supercharger Installation

katanapilot

2011 Tundra Crew Max Platinum 5.7 4WD - 107,000 miles

I'll apologize in advance - I am not a blogger and don't take many pictures, so this write up will likely be unsatisfying to some of you. However, I'm happy to answer questions if you have any.

Before beginning the installation, I did a complete fluid and filter/strainer replacement on the automatic transmission and fluid replacement on the front and rear differentials plus the transfer case. I especially wanted to make sure the A/T wasn't making metal before I went to the trouble and expense of this install (it was very clean in the pan). All fluids were replaced with the appropriate Amsoil fluids. Not trying to start a war on which fluid is best, but I have always had good success with Amsoil. When you see the pictures of the valve train and valve cover, you may understand why I am partial to Amsoil.  I guess it's possible that any synthetic oil would have similar results, but I don't know.

The installation was a bit more complicated than expected - primarily due to finding oil in a few of the spark plug tubes.  This was due to the tube seals deteriorating which is not unexpected on a vehicle with 107K miles.  The removal of the cylinder head covers (valve covers in Toyota-speak) is a PITA, especially the right side.  The left side was easier, but still not easy. All the tube seals, cover gaskets and small orings for cam lubrication were replaced.

The fuel injectors are replaced with a higher flow model.  Since my truck was flex fuel, it already had the high flow fuel pump.  If it were not flex fuel, you would have to drop the tank and replace it with a new pump (which is provided by Magnuson with the non-FFV kits).

The Magnuson instructions are pretty thorough, although there are a couple of head scratchers. The supercharger is heavy.  We lifted it most of the way with an engine hoist, but the boom on the hoist was a bit short, so we had to do the last bit by hand.  Not damaging the intake orings is the key here.

We also replaced all four of the oxygen sensors since it was about time anyway.  Not a terrible job on a cold engine, but a couple of the clips holding the wire harnesses are tough to access.

The engine started pretty quickly once the fuel rails were filled and it idled smoothly. The check engine light came on and threw a code for the secondary air injection pump.  This is a known issue on the 5.7 engines (and other Toyota/Lexus vehicles).  I found a bad pump which I assume coincidentally failed at this time.  Fortunately Toyota issued a 10 year extended warranty for these and I am inside the 10 years by about 6 weeks.  So the truck will go to the dealer this week.

That's about it and I will provide more feedback on the performance once I've had a chance to tow the Ollie.  As mentioned in another post, this upgrade was more about towing performance than winning any races. I would love a diesel, but Toyota doesn't sell them in the U.S. - so I'm hoping the supercharged Tundra will provide similar torque and horsepower (reported at 550 lb-ft and 550 hp). 

Yes, it's expensive ($7K), but so is a new truck and I'm really happy with this one that's paid for!

IMG_5001.thumb.jpeg.a5281d16990056d2f3bb8b2968e480f9.jpegIMG_4999.thumb.jpeg.ce8e0c9af7c88f71eb5973d6e73366b9.jpeg64081214235__CF8AFBD5-49E0-4064-97D7-592DB0155F44.thumb.jpeg.47d1c0ba0a56892dbde60373a8114451.jpegIMG_4993.thumb.jpeg.163ab4dcf926b824ed40156b4457d3b3.jpegIMG_4994.thumb.jpeg.7726da4d88d0efc8f59a4be837b86e32.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1