Garmin 890 update

topgun2

• Moderators

43 minutes ago, John Welte said:

I am thinking of getting the Garmin RV 780 as it's smaller.   I will have the TPMS also to put somewhere.   It's going to be tricky to find places for both things that still allow me to see the road.   

I'm guessing that your 2017 Ford Expedition has a dashboard design that is very similar to my 2017 Ford F-150.  If that is the case - I mounted my TPMS on the driver's side "A" pillar (top) and dash (bottom).  The Garmin is mounted via the rack detailed below.  My cell phone is in a cup holder mount and my tablet resides on the large arm rest that is between the seats.  The radar detector is suspended from the headliner and the dashcam is behind the rearview mirror while the Garmin InReach Mini also resides just behind the rack that holds the Garmin GPS.  All of this is without obstructing the view out of the windshield and/or the instruments on the dash or controls.

Before I had the 890, my old 2797 (5x7 inch screen) was simply mounted on a "bean bag mount" and placed in that tray where I now have the rack.

P1020825.JPG

P1020826.JPG

P1020801.JPG

P1020802.JPG

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

p.s.

If you are really interested in this Built-right mount, there area couple of threads here on the Forum about it and how to install it.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators

HERE is that Forum thread that I mentioned above.

The RAM mount that comes off the Built-right is solid as a rock.  Certainly this same type of system for mounting could also be used for the small GPS.

Bill

• Like 2

Near Asheville, NC

On 2/8/2022 at 3:09 PM, topgun2 said:

A couple of things I've recently observed about the 890 - 

1.  Just yesterday I found that Garmin has released BOTH a software and a map update.  These do not take too long to download and install but if you have an 890 you might want to think about getting these updates.

2 - The 890 has a "red light or traffic camera" alert feature.  I don't normally pay a bunch of attention to this - particularly when towing - but a recent article I read said that some locals are using Covid relief monies to purchase and install these types of cameras.  Apparently the logic behind this is derived from statistics showing that during the Covid pandemic fatal traffic accidents have increased and these cameras would be a way of slowing or stopping this trend.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Just finished the downloads! 👍🏻

4E7E165D-ECA9-4399-A92B-FBAF0492BD18.jpeg

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg