Garmin 890 update

• Moderators

I just saw that Garmin has released a "small" update for the 890.  Apparently this update is for the iOverlander portion and brings it up to date.  This might be helpful for those that are soon to be on the road to the "Non-Rally".

Bill

• Thanks 4

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Apparently it is that time again - 

Garmin has just released two updates.  A small on for iOverlander takes only about two minutes to download and install.  However, the second update is for the full set of North America maps and it takes considerably longer.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Apparently it is that time again - 

Garmin has just released two updates.  A small on for iOverlander takes only about two minutes to download and install.  However, the second update is for the full set of North America maps and it takes considerably longer.

Bill

Thanks . . . . I'll wait until later tonight to update, when our Internet isn't bogged down with video streamers.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

I just took a look and now see that (not unexpectedly) the North America map update is also for other models of Garmin GPS's.

So, if you own any Garmin GPS that has lifetime map updates, it is more than likely an update is waiting for you too.

Bill 

Their big map updates come out about every three months, I usually hook up my Garmin to the iMac before any major trip to check, if I haven't updated it recently.

FYI when updating, select the “Computer and Device” option so that you can also use the newest maps with the Garmin Basecamp program for trip planning . This new file is ADDED to the same folder as any existing map files on your computer, it does not over-write them, so try to locate and delete any older "City_Navigator_North_America_NT_20xx_xx.gmap" files because they are huge (almost 4 gigabytes) and the old files will definitely clog up your storage otherwise. The one that goes on your gps is twice that size but gets over written.

171963768_ScreenShot2021-06-26at12_53_56PM.thumb.png.34004ccb4428d07d2b2d522e6248853a.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

• Moderators

Another update is now available - this time it is software for the "traffic".

Over this past winter I planned a trip - this year it is Wyoming.  Having completed similar trips in the past I know even small details like which gas stations I prefer and the coordinates of various boondocking spots and fishing spots.  Needless to say - the entry of all these points/stops is reasonably time consuming.  In final preparation for the start of the trip I had my 890 in my tow vehicle and decided to start the trip planner just to make sure that all was well.  Unfortunately I got a message from the 890 which said that since the "transportation mode" was not the same the Garmin could not start the trip.  OK - what the heck is the "transportation Mode"?

A quick internet search turned up zilch.  However, I remember that I have two vehicles programed into the 890 - my wife's car and my truck.  Yep - I had constructed the trip plan while the 890 was in the setting for my wife's car - not my truck.  Apparently there is no "easy" way to change the trip planner from one transportation mode (my wife's car) to another (my truck).  Interestingly, the 890 says that there is a 4 mile greater distance in the route calculated for the truck versus the car.  Since I happen to know all of the places I'm going on this trip - I know that there should be no problem getting my Ollie and truck there and back.  Therefore, I'm not going to re-enter all of the data for the trip.  But, I will not make this same mistake in the future!🙄

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, topgun2 said:

"transportation Mode"

Yep, I learned the hard way about that too. While traveling, I've played with ours in both modes & noticed that many times when traveling through a city that has a loop/alternate road option, if Garmin thinks you're a car it will route you on the loop/alternate road. If Garmin thinks you're an RV it will route you right through the middle of the dang city.

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2017 F-150 Lariat 3.5 EB 4x4 Lakeland, FL