Northern winter camping

Bluetick

We're looking into the Oliver.  One of the things we'd like to use it for is winter camping in the ski areas around us.  We're in Northern New England so it frequently gets down below zero at night.  How comfortable would we be in an Oliver?

• Moderators

We’ve camped in the low 20s and high teens.  Never below zero.  The furnace can keep the inside of the trailer comfortable, although you will go through propane pretty fast.  I’m not sure how the water tanks would do at temperatures below zero.  Doesn’t sound like fun to me!  I’m sure there are brave owners that camp in extreme temps that will weigh in.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

If I were attempting subzero in my older 2008 Elite, I'd camp winterized, and use a bucket or portapotty. No ducted furnace, in ours.

We've camped with lows in the mid to  high teens, in ours, but highs above freezing. No damage if we ran the furnace, and opened hull access, but it did burn through propane.

Here's an interesting thread for you cold weather folks. Four seasons is one thing. Camping in cold is another.. Sub zero, is yet  another, in my book. Not my cup of tea. We usually carry a gallon of rv antifreeze, just in case, for vulnerable places.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.