Bearing seal installation.

Frank C

In the Dexter video for bearing repacking, the voice over mentions that when replacing the seal, a Permatex high temp red RTV silicone gasket should be applied to the outer diameter of the seal before application, starting around the 5:00 minute mark of the video.  But it looks like just red grease being applied.   Has anyone actually installed the seals with RTV silicone gasket sealant?  Seems like it would make seal removal the next time a real pain.  Other bearing seals I’ve replaced on motorcycles, etc have never said to use an RTV silicone gasket when installing.  

It is a good idea if you have a cheap seal with a steel perimeter, otherwise a little oil can theoretically seep past over a long time frame. I have done it now and then, and never noticed any benefit. OTH if you buy the really superior Timken seals, which you should, they will come with a coated perimeter, and those do not need anything extra. It is really hard to apply sealer onto greasy parts, when your hands are greasy! It has been a really long time since I worked on a motorcycle, but aren’t those seals usually rubber coated on the outside? Here is a Honda fork seal:

8CD4AF10-1C5A-4AD8-BD7D-EDF047E778C1.jpeg.380c33df1212984f9ec2a9a6866fd3dd.jpeg

Here is a coated Timken:

0B886A6D-111B-4B91-BADD-F9B803AFF482.jpeg.1ba3f3b05ea7a2a8c30794f1a6a03b31.jpeg

And a raw steel Dexter:

A6AD401A-506D-4C37-BBC1-975DF7A626DD.jpeg.77710f299a7e93931e4e49526d7934bd.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John.  I did get genuine Timken seals for repacking the bearings, plus an extra full set of Timken bearings (SET4 and SET17) to have for emergency on the road just in case, from an authorized Timken distributor, and verified as genuine with the WBA app as well.    And yes, the motorcycle fork and bearing seals I’ve worked with have all been rubber coated.  

• Like 1