Internal trailer temperature concern

Carl Hansen

This is our first summer owning our Oliver. We park the trailer at our home and we connect to 30amp shore power.

With these hot temperatures we are enduring this summer the internal trailer temperature is reaching close to 100 degrees, similar to the outside temperature. 

We do have the fan running when the temperature goes above 78 degrees. The windows are cracked open for ventilation. 
All the perishables have been removed from the trailer while not in use. 

Should I be concerned about these internal temperatures?  Is there anything else I should be doing to keep the trailer cooler?  What are your thoughts and best practices?

Carl

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Is the trailer shaded at all? Full sun for many hours is almost impossible to deal with, but if you can shift it during the hot months it to a spot that is shady in the afternoon, that will help a lot. These trailers are well insulated, but that doesn’t mean they don’t heat up. It just means the inside temp lags by a few hours, and once it peaks and the air outside cools, it takes a similar time to cool down inside the hull..

If you have lithium batteries, you should try to limit their prolonged exposure to temps in the triple digits. My trailer sits inside, it is 102 today but just 88 inside the RV bay, according to my weather station. My VictronConnect app lets me see how my Battle Borns are doing, without leaving my comfy armchair in the house. (I have an exhaust vent fan on a timer, and I crack the two big doors a couple of inches each night after dark to cool the garage some.)

CEC38DE9-07B5-4FAD-8512-47F4CC2A7A25.thumb.jpeg.72a53607d5d7fc60119257c62aa2001e.jpeg

If you don’t have a way to monitor battery temps remotely, there are Bluetooth sensors that would allow you to keep a closer eye on things without having to venture outside into the heat. You could also bring the lithium batteries inside until the heat dome has gone.

I can’t think of much else except the food that might be affected by the concentrated heat. Certainly chocolate bars are not going to do well. Maybe prescription meds, and ammunition should be removed. Anything that recommends store at room temperature.. .😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks!  

The trailer is in the shade early in the morning but in direct sunlight by noon. We are considering installing a shade sail over in to protect it from the direct sun. This might be only thing we can do.

I do have lithium batteries. I hadn’t considered the effect of heat on them. Thanks for the heads up.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

If any windows are getting direct sunlight you can add reflective cut-to-fit panels there, just like a sunshade for your car windshield. That will help a little with heat gain. Reflectix is one common brand, any home box store has it in rolls in other brand names. Keeping the sun completely off is better….

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-24-in-x-10-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-24x10DRI/314983628

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.