Rocks...yum!

At least that's what my brake drums seem to think. We just returned from a 2300 mile trip to Hohenwald and back. Twice during the trip, after leaving campgrounds with gravel roads, we apparently had small rocks caught inside brake drums. The symptom was loud metallic scraping/squealing when braking. The first time, while trying to diagnose the problem in a parking lot, Steph actually heard the "ping" when the rock popped loose. A subsequent brake/wheel inspection at OTT revealed no damage.

The second time it happened, the rock popped free before we were even able to find a place to stop.

Now I'm wondering: I put rubber plugs in the 2 "adjustment" holes at the bottom of each of our "Nev-r-Adjust" brake backing plates. Our old brakes had plugs there. But, maybe I should leave those holes open as a path for debris to find its way out of the drum assembly? Any thoughts on that?

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Any thoughts on that?

Small pebbles can still make their way into the braking parts of BOTH drum and disk brakes.  Usually with disk brakes all it takes to get the offending critter loose and out of the way is to back up a short distance.  With the drum brakes this process can take a bit more time.  Fortunately with either kind of brakes this does not happen often for most people.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"