Only one switch to operate streetwise and curbside lights. Both sets on at same time, or off at same time, only. Newer trailers.

mossemi

1 hour ago, Steve Morris said:

I will cover the lens with amber Lamin-X film 

That's a great idea!  I'm going to look into the lamin-x, but not the z-bar just yet.

I can't cut the wires as suggested either. There's no way to reach them without removing the fixture, and  I'm not confident the fixture can be removed without damage.   My experience with one of the puc lights is that it was short wired with no slack for a splice.  Had to solder extension wires to very short stubs, very sketchy.  I'm afraid these lights are the same way.

It turned out to be easy to check the ground wires with a clamp-on amp meter, and I quickly found the ground for the porch lights.  Unfortunately all four lights were on the same loop so no luck with that idea.

They are nice lights, just wish they could be switched off at times.   So I'm still hoping someone will find the correct wire.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators
19 hours ago, Snackchaser said:

I’ve done some poking around at different times trying to find the wires that feed those street side porch lights.  The curb side switch-leg wire is behind the main switch panel, but Iv’e never been able determine where it splits off to feed the street side. 

My following thoughts are based upon existing wiring schematics that I have found in the Oliver University.  
So you found the B+ wire for the porch lights behind the main switch panel which leads me to believe that you located the switch for the porch lights as well and I would guess that it is a red wire, not the it really matters.  And while I am in a guessing mood, I would bet the porch light switch is a simple 2 wire switch and both wires are red.  One of the wires on that switch is the line side or power in B+ and the other wire is the load side or B+ out to the lights.  There should be a junction connector on both wires of that switch, one which supplies B+ to the other switches on the main panel and one the supplies B+ to the street side porch lights.  Can you verify whether or not there is a junction connector on the load side of the porch light switch?

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Mossey,

Your thoughts are correct, up to the point about a junction in the load side of the switch.  The load side wire from the porch switch disappears into the wall behind the switch panel in a tightly tangled mass of wires and junctions that are stuffed into a space too small.  Without disturbing the wires too much, I’ve probed with an inspection mirror and I’m certain there is no junction or splice on that wire.  It probably runs through the gap between the outer and inner walls to the nearest porch light by the door, then daisy chains to the other lights from there.

At some point the wires need to cross over to the street side.  I hoped to find it within a wire bundle in the attic or basement.   But they also could have run it through the gap between the ceiling and roof where they ran the wiring for the ceiling lights, they even stuffed the crimped splices into that gap.  The ground wire must take the same path in the opposite direction, originating from the ground bus.

There are also wire bundles that run along the bottom back of the shelves, it could be there.  But I’m not crazy about breaking into them without better intelligence.

Anyway, I guess we're still no further ahead on the wiring side of the problem.

Geoff

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Snackchaser said:

The load side wire from the porch switch disappears into the wall behind the switch panel in a tightly tangled mass of wires and junctions that are stuffed into a space too small.

FYI

IMG_4570.thumb.jpeg.6ad00f17236df884d3a83c218db808c4.jpegMossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

both Hi all,

Interesting discussion that comes right at the tail of my yesterday mod. Frankly I didn't even know that there were courtesy and porch lights on the street side - but I'm just a newbie here. What I did know was that the porch and courtesy lights were really a problem for both me and Jill because of brightness. So - I decided to put dimmers on them. They work great! And I did just go check and I DO have street side as well and they both dim full range. I have to say that the wiring I came up against in the Ollie is what I would expect to see in a 60's piece of equipment. It also explains why I have had intermittent main cabin lights. (I have hull #1491). Someone in the factory must have pulled out the spade lugs from the switches several times and the retention weakened. I also found only one wire for both sides. I think I will do the Lamin-x on the street side. With the lower intensity and amber light it shouldn't bother anyone and could help if I want to walk around Carlotta. 

• Thanks 1

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

Ozzie and Ruby - 2 Havanese characters

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

’23 F-250 RapidRed KR 7.3 Godzilla

Solved!  I did some more extensive probing and found the elusive street side porch wire.  This thread was pretty long so I decided to start a new one for how to add a second porch light switch, please see the new post titled “How to add a second switch for the street side porch lights. . . finally”

Thanks Mossey for that photo of the porch ground wire.  I love the collective wisdom and ideas in this forum, and that picture it’s what started me on the right path!

Cheers!  Geoff

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2