Only one switch to operate streetwise and curbside lights. Both sets on at same time, or off at same time, only. Newer trailers.

mossemi

• Moderators
On 6/3/2023 at 10:38 AM, Bill and Nancy said:

We have a 2022 and it has a pump switch under the sink and use it all the time. Now if we could only turn off the curb side out door lighting it would be great.

Can you explain the problem with the outdoor lights and provide some details about you switches?  By your statement, I take it the street side lights function differently or correctly.  I’m sure someone on the forum has some ideas that might help.

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

We are at the Oliver rally in ME and we found out that the older Oliver’s had two switches for the porch lights. On for the street side and one for the curbside lights. The newer Oliver’s not sure on the 2023s have only one switch for both sides. It is annoying not only to us but it’s a common complaint of most people that you can’t shut off the street side porch lights. When in a camp ground most of the time all they are good for is to blind your neighbor.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Wow 2

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Bill and Nancy said:

We are at the Oliver rally in ME and we found out that the older Oliver’s had two switches for the porch lights. On for the street side and one for the curbside lights. The newer Oliver’s not sure on the 2023s have only one switch for both sides. It is annoying not only to us but it’s a common complaint of most people that you can’t shut off the street side porch lights. When in a camp ground most of the time all they are good for is to blind your neighbor.

So you can turn the porch lights on or off on both the curb and street side, but you can’t turn on one side or the other individually.  Now we have to figure out how turn the lights on either side or both sides together.  I’ll see if I can find a wiring diagram for a 2022 LE2 and work on a plan.  Off the top of my head I would say that a SPDT switch would be a simple solution if you would be satisfied with the ability to operate one side at a time.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bill and Nancy said:

The newer Oliver’s not sure on the 2023s

Still just one switch for both sides. 
Kirk

• Thanks 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

I split this topic off to allow it to get the attention it deserves. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• The title was changed to Only one switch to operate streetwise and curbside lights. Both sets on at same time, or off at same time, only. Newer trailers.

That is irritating, has anyone asked for a wiring diagram? If both left and right light wires are run to the switch, you could simply disconnect and secure the left side wire. The light wouldn’t ever function, but if you never use that side, it wouldn’t matter. If they are wired in series (just one wire at the switch) then you would have to get creative. Or live with the situation.

I never use my street side light anyway…. and I have independent control.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I have this issue on my 23 LE. I plan on installing a separate switch in series with the street side porch light. This will enable me to decide whether one ( curb) or both porch lights go on with the main porch light switch. Probably tap into the wire directly behind the radio and mount the switch inside the cubby next to the radio. This will not happen until my warranty expires.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

LeBill

Elite I  Hull 1352  

2021 Jeep Gladiator

Northwestern NC (retired)

We spoke to phil from Oliver at the rally and he has also brought this to attention to his superiors. He has no idea why they switched it on the newer trailers but he gets a lot of complaints about it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

• Moderators

Reasonable complaint. I sent it to the factory.  

Were it me, I'd like to have two switches.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The outside courtesy/belly lights on our 2022 are the same as the porch lights, one switch for both sides. Which gives me an idea: maybe you could swap some wires around so one of those switches is the left porch and left belly and the other switch is the right porch and right belly? Would be better than the current setup.

Currently, if we want light on only one side of the trailer, we use the awning light (which is also pretty bright).

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

12 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That is irritating, has anyone asked for a wiring diagram?

Many of us with models newer than 2019 have formally requested wiring diagrams from OTT, with no success.   It’s been discussed in the forum several times.  I checked the last wiring diagram I can find in Oliver University, the 2019 manual.  It shows separate switches and wires for street side porch and entry porch side.   I only have one switch on my 2021, turns both sides on.   The porch lights  are rarely used because of this limitation. 

On 6/6/2023 at 11:34 PM, mossemi said:

I’ll see if I can find a wiring diagram for a 2022 LE2 and work on a plan.

Let us know if you can locate one.   Before I go poking around behind that switch panel, I’ll just be patient.  I’m confident one of you electrical experts will develop a solution. 

• Like 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

On 6/6/2023 at 9:34 PM, mossemi said:

So you can turn the porch lights on or off on both the curb and street side, but you can’t turn on one side or the other individually.  Now we have to figure out how turn the lights on either side or both sides together.  I’ll see if I can find a wiring diagram for a 2022 LE2 and work on a plan.  Off the top of my head I would say that a SPDT switch would be a simple solution if you would be satisfied with the ability to operate one side at a time.

Mossey

Same situation on my 2021 LE2.  I like the effect the upper and lower exterior lights give but never ever use them due to the issue of having a single switch for both sides.  Instead I just use my LED awning light for a porch light.  Would love to have a electrical diagram before cutting into wiring to install new switches to control left/right, upper/lower exterior lights uniquely.  Let us know if you have success in obtaining a more current electrical diagram so those of us who want to correct this design can do so with confidence.

• Like 6

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators

I haven’t found a wiring diagram for 2020 and newer LE2's.  Are there any volunteers that would be willing to do some exploratory sleuthing.  I would like to see a picture or diagram of the porch light switch wiring so we can determine if the lights are wired in series or parallel.  You can gain access to the switch wiring by removing the round inspection hatch cover located is in the upper storage cabinet above the microwave.  There are a lot of wires behind that cover and it’s hard to determine what’s what visually.  The switches are a friction fit in the switch panel, so if I am going to work on a specific switch I usually just push that switch out so the switch is hanging by the wires in the entryway.  The switch wiring is usually 12V positive and are of varying colors.  The 12V negative wires are typically yellow.  The pictures below or for reference only and are some what specific to my Ollie only.

Mossey

IMG_2506.thumb.jpeg.dfcf42f678daa085a6cdb42afb5da2fe.jpegIMG_2509.thumb.jpeg.21b3401148b3bd8fcf7b04bcd2d0f2ef.jpegIMG_2508.thumb.jpeg.f6ad4f7dcac12f3a66d7bcf54a952534.jpeg

• Like 6

• Moderators
On 6/7/2023 at 9:54 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

Which gives me an idea: maybe you could swap some wires around so one of those switches is the left porch and left belly and the other switch is the right porch and right belly?

That seems like a reasonable and simple solution if both sides are wired in parallel.

Mossey

• Like 2

• Moderators

A point of clarification for my picture above that shows the side porch light switch pushed out of the main panel name plate.  That picture does not show the factory switch or wiring because I had previously changed my porch light switches from SPST TO SPDT and the light fixtures to fixtures containing both Amber and White colored lights in one fixture.  I can turn on Amber lights by pushing the top of the switch in or turn on white lights by pushing in on the bottom of the switch.  The lights are off when the switch is in the neutral position.  This modification required running a a second B+ wire from both new SPDT switches to the 2 new light fixtures on both sides of the OLLIE.

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
Correct typo to SPDT
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I will try to explain my thinking on this porch light issue while using my 2017 LE2 wiring diagram as an example.

IMG_1132.thumb.jpeg.719cd8626a1c9ba4f7babf4259743b5d.jpeg

Both the curb and street side porch lights are powered by a positive 12V power or B+ wire beginning at the attic Sub Panel.  The red B+ wire crosses from the SS to the CS of the of the Ollie in the attic, then it is routed through the upper cabinets to the main switch panel in the entryway where it splits and powers several different circuits. One of those circuits is routed to and powers the CS porch light switch and another is routed to and powers the SS porch light switch.  This results in a separate red B+ wire connecting to the input side of each porch light switch.  The output side of the CS porch light switch is also red and connects to the CS porch light fixtures.  The output side of the SS porch light switch is grey and connects to the SS porch light fixtures.  There is also a yellow B- or ground wire connected to each porch light fixture.  

I am still looking for porch light switch information from someone that has a single rocker switch turning on the porch lights on both sides of the Ollie.

Mossey
  • Like 4

Mossey, 

Initially wondered why there were more than two wires on the switch you pushed out of the panel. Understand after your explanation of amber lights.

Our 2015 LE2 has two conductors per switch per porch light. Don’t believe Oliver had a standard LE2 wiring harness until later, after a discussion with the service department a few years ago.

#75 LE2IMG_1787.thumb.jpeg.b510b8d6816fd7308e6441d40fe2c057.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2015 LE2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Our 2015 LE2 has two conductors per switch per porch light. Don’t believe Oliver had a standard LE2 wiring harness until later, after a discussion with the service department a few years ago.

That’s exactly the way our 2017 LE2 was originally wired, except both female spade connectors on both switches were insulated.  

Mossey

• Like 2

• Moderator+
On 6/9/2023 at 7:57 AM, mossemi said:

That seems like a reasonable and simple solution if both sides are wired in parallel.

Mossey

Why not use a SPDT-center off switch?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
5 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Why not use a SPDT-center off switch?

You are correct!  And I have corrected my typo.  The final solution will depend on the existing wiring.

Mossey

• Like 2