Resetting or Rebooting a Maxxfan

Karren from hull #422 contacted me the other day, I helped her at the rally this year.  Her Maxxfan stopped working after a storm passed through. I had her reset the power to the fan's motherboard. Like my trailer, there is no dedicated 12v fuse for the fan.  So, I had her disconnect from shore power and disconnect her batteries by using the disconnect switch under the bunk.  This worked like a charm.  The fan is fine, for now.  I've done that before too when my fan's remote stopped working with the fan.  Reboots fix almost everything, outside of hammers and duct tape.  She may have continued issues if that Maxxfan Mobo, is on the way out. Her CO2 detector also went off about the same time, so it could have been a minor serge from the lightning storm.  She has both an external EMS outside as well as her internal EMS, so I'm not sure how this could happen, but I'm no electrician. 

Has anyone else seen this before?  I would guess it can be common at times.

I created this video to hopefully help others with this simple reset trick. 

• Like 4

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Excellent video and time saver!

Really like your 350 amp Blue Sea Master Switch!  🙂  

One of the Max Fan maintenance tasks that I also recommend is weather protecting the circuit board.  

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Yeah, I've seen a lot of great videos out there about these fans. I also didn't know about sealing the motherboards until I was helping her recently.  We love and hate these fans, but the great thing is that it looks like most of the parts can be reordered. I've already had to change out that cheap pot metal cog mechanism which raises the lid up and down. That was not a fun sound to hear in the middle of the night. These forums has helped me with that project. 

• Like 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

For a device intended to go up on the roof, a MaxxFan is an enormous fail in terms of water resistance. That can be fixed, mainly by drilling drain holes so any moisture can drip out. My trim piece was completely sealed around the perimeter after installation, for looks, making it essentially like a refrigerator drip tray! That is bad, the water must get out somehow.

This was coming from one of the screws of the trim piece, it had trapped water inside:

IMG_2610.thumb.jpeg.856edbf849b0c36192a4c78607ca072c.jpeg

IMG_2611.thumb.jpeg.39c957c236eb80e08c8a6f0f0d361bca.jpeg

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4003-how-to-maxxfan-remove-and-service-preventive-maintenance-to-avoid-water-damage/

Stuff like this makes you wonder why companies that build accessories and  trailers don’t really understand the real world problems of moisture (Oliver included, but a whole lot less so).

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Agree with you Mr. Davies.  Now that I know of many of the issues with these fans, I'm surprised I have not had more issues - knock on head.  But, I'm ready for them. 

I'm really surprised I've not had moisture issues yet.  But then again, I run my fan on 10 or 20% almost 24/7.  That might be helping some.

• Like 3

Chris
Augusta, Georgia