How to sanitize all 3 water input locations?

MAG

Somewhere I read advice that we should sanitize all 3 water fill locations, seems like a good idea, but I wonder what the best way to go about that would be? The official advice does not seem to cover that. Any thoughts?

Mary        My husband and I have Hull # 55.  An Elite 2, bought in 2014

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

You may find some comments here helpful. 

Thank you!  That is where I read the advice…..

gosh, the advice that we got in our manual 9 years ago is completely different from the advice in The how-to video Oliver posted for sanitizing; it’s hard to know which to follow.and neither mentions sanitizing all three water intakes.

my husband says, well we haven’t been sick, so maybe we just keep doing what we’ve done all these years…..

• Wow 2

Mary        My husband and I have Hull # 55.  An Elite 2, bought in 2014

• Moderators

Could you post the video? I've honestly never seen it.

With an older, 2008 Elite, we only have two ports (not counting the hose under the seat... don't worry about that, as I don't think you have one.) We sanitize city, even though we virtually never use it, and tank pressure fill. Solution down the hose. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Good question. I see three (3) water inlets; the city water, the fresh water, and the rear winterization inlets, which is also used to draw additional potable water while camping. The standard procedure will sanitize the freshwater tank and internal water lines, and per the OTT procedure will also sanitize the winterization inlet as that is where you would intake a bleach solution. This procedure will not sanitize the fresh and city water inlets.

After working the given OTT procedure (per the OTT video), you could attach a short section of hose to the city, then freshwater inlets, funnel attached top of short hose, and pour a small amount of the specified bleach-water solution. I may try this next time to be 100% complete.

I could not figure out how to post the link. Go to Oliver University, click on videos and search or look down the list for "Sanitizing Your Plumbing System."

• Thanks 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!