Truck Canopy Removal-Reinstall

Wandering Sagebrush

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
2 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Not certain it would be my best option, but it certainly looks like a workable solution.

My solution enabling me to lift the topper off my truck bed by myself is the My Lifter system.  It is much more expensive, but the lift, with canopy, stays suspended below the ceiling of my garage, leaving the entire garage bay usable with the canopy off the truck.

https://www.smarterhome.com/products/truck-top-lifter

The Rapid Lift/Rapid Stand combo costs less, but occupies storage space when the canopy is off the truck.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

@Rivernerd, my only experience with an overhead lift and storage system was with one for my 22’ double sea kayak.  I went into my shop and found one leg had failed, and the bow dropped.  Luckily, there was no damage, but it gave me significant nervous twitch about suspended storage.  

I currently store the canopy on a cart.

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

1 hour ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

I went into my shop and found one leg had failed, and the bow dropped.  

A concern for sure.  But less of a concern with 4-point attachment, as with the My LIfter.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

13 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

The kayak lift was  also 4 point, with straps under the kayak.  It was a strap that let go.  Hardware was all Harken (sailboat rigging).

I use a Hobie 16 main sheet tackle (Harken) to suspend a 50 pound Yakima box, no worries at all and it looks cool with blue line, but I would not trust any rope setup with a 250 pound canopy. This works great for 170 pounds of Maggiolina RTT plus steel crossbars. It is rated for 250 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Racor-PHL-1R-HeavyLift-4-Foot-Cable-Lifted/dp/B0009I8AO6/ref=sr_1_1?m=A2EJCTH67GJMT3&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1542837300

It is discontinued but still available for a while. Buy 2! $49! I have no idea about shipping, the box is not big but it is pretty heavy. I bought mine new in box on Craigslist for $120…

https://www.classicdiscountstore.shop/products/racor-ceiling-storage-lift-phl-1r

I used the two spreader bars but not the actual platform. I also tossed the ceiling attach hardware ( tiny screws), drilled out the 8 holes, and used 1/4” lag bolts going directly into studs. 

Once lifted for the off season, criss cross the cargo with 1” nylon straps. Those go into FORGED closed eye 3/8” eyebolts in studs. Open eyed bolts could, well, open if a heavy load is dropped onto them suddenly. 

Probably overkill, but I sleep a lot better knowing a $5k tent is not going to drop onto a $40 k Land Cruiser….

This is temporary strapping for short term, I was reworking the attach hardware… and needed the truck bars out of the way. Normally the bars will stay attached all the time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

IMG_3866.jpeg

IMG_3865.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.